Posters have been used for conveying the messages from time immemorial. It has even come to be known as a vital art form and attracts artists from all genres. If you think all you need is a pencil, cardboard, or computer to make a poster, you are quite wrong. Making poster is an art, and like any other art form it needs diligence, creativity and out of the box thinking. Actually, poster is a great way to convey a message. So, if you are thinking of making a poster, then the below written tips are just for you. Read on to know how to make a poster.
Tips For Making A Poster
- The first thing, which you have to know, is whether you are making a poster on cardboard or on a power point. Depending on your access, necessity and skills you can make a poster.
- The first thing, which you have to take care while making a poster, is that the message of the poster is loud and clear. The message should not be too long. It should be a small sentence or phrase with catchy words.
- While you are making a poster try not to add everything what you want to say. Remember that it is just a poster and it should contain maximum of two messages at a time. The best thing would be to provide only one information through one poster.
- The font also plays an important role in conveying the messages. Choose a font, which looks attractive and is easy to read. When you are choosing the background of the poster, make sure that it is subtle and doesn’t create any obstructions in conveying the message. Colors like light cream, white, light blue and lemon yellow are good for background color.
- Don’t just add anything which you think is suitable. It is good to give added information but going over the top is also not good.
- Also, make sure that whatever messages you give through your poster don’t contradict each other. Take information from reliable sources.
- If you are using pictures and graphics, make sure that it is appropriate and compliments the message.
- Add an attention grabber. It may be a big font word, a graphic, or even a phrase, anything that is able to grab the attention of the people. Remember that your main aim is to grab attention to your poster.
- If you are just putting a poster for some commercial or social purpose, you could also give your contact details in case you want to know the feedback or for people who want to know more about your message.
- The layout of the poster is very important. Organize the layout of your poster carefully. You could make your attention grabber a center and weave the whole layout around it. Alternatively, you could take more conventional route, add a header and footer, and place the contents in middle.
- The spacing is also very important. Before you start the process, measure the space where you have to place all the material. Roughly, calculate the space you would need for drafting messages, graphics etc.
- Make it a point to add only those materials, which complement the underlying message of the poster. Remove all the extraneous messages.
- Check out for places to put up your posters. If you are putting up your poster in college then check out places where most of your college mates hang out. You could put up your posters there. The aim should be to be visible to as many people as possible.
- Think out of the box. Making run of the mill type poster will not help you grab any attention. Also, make sure whatever topic you choose is informative and include trivia to make it more interesting. The topic should be beneficial for as many people as possible.
- You also need to remember that a good poster should enable a reader to grasp the message in shortest time possible. A reader should be able to understand your message in approximately less than a minute. Draft your poster accordingly.
- Remember the four policies of a poster. It should be readable, legible, concise, and well organized.