Whether you are on a diet or have invited someone to dine at your place, salad is something that will always be a part of your menu. There is a wide variety of salads in this world, categorized into green salads; vegetable salads; salads of pasta, legumes, or grains; mixed salads incorporating meat, poultry, or seafood; and fruit salads. In this article, we will acquaint you with two recipes from the first category of salads i.e. green salads. Just go through the following lines and explore instructions on how to make a green salad.
Green Salad Recipes
- Fresh Salad Greens (including lettuce)
- Radishes, sliced
- Scallions, chopped
- Carrots, sliced
- Bacon, crumbled
- Apples or Pears, cut-up
- Toasted Nuts
- Tomato Wedges
- Olives, sliced
- First of all, you will have to get crisp, fresh greens for your salad. Ensure that there are no bruised spots on leaves or streaks of brown near roots.
- If you want the salad to look attractive, go for a large variety in the greens, right from dark to light ones and crispy to tender ones.
- Remove the broken or damaged outer leaves, if any, and then wash the greens thoroughly with water.
- Drain the greens and put them in a salad spinner, to make them dry quickly. Another option would be to wrap greens in a towel.
- You can even put the greens in the refrigerator, to chill them a bit. However, before making the salad, make sure that they are fully dry.
- Gently tear the greens into bite-size pieces. Thereafter, it is the time to add other ingredients. Make sure that they go well with each other.
- In this step, you can add sliced radishes, chopped scallions, sliced carrots, crumbled bacon and cut-up apples or pears to your greens.
- Finally add dressing to the salad, just enough to coat the leaves lightly. Toss the salad well and place it in the salad bowl.
- Garnish your green salad with toasted nuts, croutons, tomato wedges and sliced olives. Serve.
- 1 cup Almonds, sliced
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Cranberries (if frozen, thaw)
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 red Onion, thinly sliced
- 8 cups Mixed Salad Greens (including lettuce)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Take a cookie sheet and place the sliced almonds on it, in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the almost with sugar and keep the sheet in oven, for 5 minutes.
- When the nuts start turning brown, remove and let them cool down.
- Blend together vinegar, oil, cranberries, mustard, garlic, salt, pepper and honey, in a blender or food processor.
- Take a large bowl and put the almonds in it, along with onions and salad greens.
- Add vinegar mixture to the bowl and toss the salad well, to make sure that the ingredients get evenly coated with the dressing. Serve.