Teen years can be rightly called the most outrageous years of one’s life. Due to the various changes that the body as well as the mind of the budding adult encounters, rationale often takes a back seat. Thus, it becomes quite difficult for parents to tackle their children at such stage. One of the most common problems during this time is that teens get irritated very easily and yell back at their parents in anger. This not only heats up the atmosphere, but also brings a drift between the parents and the child. Thus, it is the onus of the parents to understand the volatile situation and make efforts to prevent their teen from yelling back. Given below are some tips on the same.
Tips to Keep Teens from Yelling Back
- Don’t argue with your teenage children; rather ask them to communicate their perspective, in a summarized manner. In case you do not have a specific answer to their questions, tell them you need to time to think and get back to them soon.
- In case of a difference of opinion, do not shout at your teens, to forcefully enforce it upon them. On the contrary, coolly express your feelings regarding the issue.
- Do not talk down on your teenagers, as a disdainful tone will trigger their patience.
- Do not preach too much to your teenager, as this irritates the child beyond limits.
- Do not set such limits, which you think cannot be forced upon the child and are difficult to be obeyed.
- Think about how and what you will say things to your teenager beforehand, so that you stay in control and are able to handle him/her as well.
- Do not fabricate tales; rather keep your message clear and crisp.
- Do not talk about several issues at a time. Concentrate only on one thing and try to sort it out calmly.