The problem of cracked lips is commonly faced by people during dry weather, be it in winters or summers. The condition leads to a sensation of pain on the lips, when the skin gets peeled off, mainly due to excessive dryness. While climate change and overexposure to sun and wind are considered to be the major reasons behind dry and cracked lips, you may incur this problem because of dehydration, vitamin deficiencies, smoking and chewing tobacco as well. If your lips get cracked, you need to treat them with suitable products at the earliest, lest the problem goes out of hand. With the tips given in the article, you will know how to get rid of cracked lips.
Cures For Dry & Cracked Lips
- Apply a glossy lipstick on the cracked lips, especially before going out in the sun. Make sure that the lipstick is not heavily flavored, because the chemicals present in it might cause harm to your lips.
- Make use of an unflavored lip balm, containing active ingredients like Vitamin E, cocoa butter, olive oil, coconut oil or almond oil, on a daily basis.
- Petroleum jelly is another effective remedy as far as dry and cracked lips are concerned. Apply it on your lips everyday, especially before going to bed.
- Aloe vera is a natural cure for dry and cracked lips. Pluck one or two aloe vera leaves and extract the gel from them. Now, rub it on your lips. Apply the gel whenever your lips become dry. To treat extremely cracked lips, you may apply the gel on the lips at night and leave it overnight.
- Ghee is another home remedy for cracked lips. Apply a little amount of ghee on your lips, before going to bed, and leave it overnight. You will get rid of cracked lips, if you do this daily, in about a week.
- Cucumber is also effective in keeping dried lips moist for a long time. Rub a slice of cucumber on your lips and leave it as such, for about half an hour, and then wash off with water.
- Moisten your dried lips with a cotton swab, which has been dipped in a solution of water and salt. Rub the cotton swab gently, on your lips. Although the salt solution will cause irritation initially, it will cure your dried lips over time.
- For severely cracked lips, applying a Vitamin E ointment is suggested. You may consult a dermatologist for the same. If you want to stick to a natural product, opt for Vitamin E oil.
- Dehydration often leads to dry and cracked lips. Therefore, it is suggested to carry a bottle of water with you at all times, especially while traveling. Water will keep your body hydrated and reduce the chances of dry lips. You should also drink plenty of fluids, especially in summer, to reduce the chances of dehydration.
- If you are habitual of licking your lips, get rid of the habit as soon as possible. You may feel better after licking your cracked lips for sometime, but when the saliva evaporates, the lips would become drier, causing more pain. Moreover, the habit damages the natural protective coating on lips, leading to frequent drying.
- Your lips may become dry and cracked because of excessive exposure to sun. To protect your lips from sunburn, apply a sunscreen, or a lipstick containing SPF, on them before going out.
- An allergic reaction to a certain lipstick may also lead to the problem of peeling lips. Therefore, make sure that the lipsticks that you wear suit your skin type.
- An all-night treatment that is recommended for dry and cracked lips involves the use of a humidifier. Before going to bed, switch on the bed-side humidifier and leave it overnight.
- In case you suspect that your cracked lips are a symptom of a serious health problem, it is advisable to consult a dermatologist immediately.