Whether it is a friendly boxing match or a college fight, the worst problem a guy can end up with is a black eye. It is one of the few after-effects of a fight that you cannot hide from anyone, which means that everyone, right from your girlfriend to your parents, will come to know that you were involved in a fight. On top of that, it pains a lot and you don’t like looking at yourself in the mirror. Though a black eye takes its own sweet time to heal up totally, you can definitely speed up the healing process by following a few home remedies. Read on to know some treatments for black eye.
How to Get Rid of a Black Eye
- As soon as you get a black eye, head for the refrigerator and place something cold on your eye. The best solution will be a bag of ice. However, if you cannot lay your hands on the same, a cold can of soda or a bag of frozen vegetables will work as good. The cold treatment will prevent your eye from swelling. Continue the treatment for at least one day.
- Next, it will be advisable to have a pain reliever, containing acetaminophen and caffeine, immediately. This will not only help reduce the pain, but also minimize the chances of having a black eye.
- If you have managed to avoid the initial swelling, all you would be left with will be dark black skin around your eye. This is mainly the result of blood clotting under the skin. To get rid of the color i.e. to disperse the blood, dip a clean wash cloth in warm water and place it over your eye. Replace with another one as soon as this one cools. Repeat 5-6 times.
- While sleeping, try to keep your head elevated. At the same time, avoid rolling over to the side where you have black eye. This is because, if you put even a small amount of pressure on the bruised eye, blood vessels underneath it have all the chances of popping, thus leading to leaking blood and worsening of the problem.
- Start massaging the tissue around the eye in gentle circles. This will help regulate the blood flow in that area. If you have followed all the above-mentioned treatments, it should take not more than 2 weeks for the bruise to be gone. However, if its still there, even after 2 weeks, it is better to see a doctor for the same.