No weights, no gyms, no frills. That is push up. It is the best form of exercise and also an exceptional method for punishment. Excellent punishment because most people don’t know the proper way to do push up and get tired easily, which is when the fun starts. See the victim, desperately trying to rise up on his arms, making weird faces, and finally resigns, crashing on his stomach. But it is always the person doing the push up who has the last laugh as push up is an excellent exercise. Isn’t it clever; instead of weights, use your body itself, as weight to tone your upper body and arms. Done in a proper way, many believe that it is the best way to maintain the overall body fitness. Push up or press ups develop the abdominal, back, chest, triceps and leg muscles and so it is widely used in military training. It is also an excellent method to warm up the body before rigorous exercise. Push up has also been known to strengthen the spine and increase the stamina. It is the best exercise to build muscle mass without any weights, as your whole body acts as the weight. In the article below are given some techniques to help you do proper push up.
Proper Push Up Techniques
- Lie on your chest and keep your palms flat on the floor. Now position your arms a little bit wider than your shoulders. Keep your legs straight.
- Keep the toes tucked under the feet and look straight instead of the floor. Rise up a little so that you are balanced on your hands and toes. Keep the body straight and do not arch your back.
- You can keep your feet closed together or spread a little bit wide. When you are on your chest on the floor, make sure that your arms are bent at the elbows by your side, with the palms pointing forward.
- Using your arms push your bodies up until the arms are straight and exhaling all the while. While pushing contract your abdominal muscles.
- When your arms are straight pause for a few seconds.
- Lower yourself by bending the elbows and inhaling. Lower till your elbows are at a right angle and do not let your chest touch the floor. Do not let your palms slip or move.
- Push up again while exhaling and move up till your arms are straight.
- Repeat the cycle as many times as you can.
Different variations of push ups
Table Top Push Ups
This is an excellent way to start push up. Stand a few feet away from a wall or table, and place your palms onto them. Then use the same push up technique to perform this exercise. Make sure that the table or chair you are holding to is fixed and sturdy as you will be balancing your entire weight on them.
Bent Knee Push Ups
This push up is performed on bent knees by keeping the knees, hips and shoulders in a straight line without bending the hips.
Decline Push Ups
In this push up the feet is kept on a raised bench so that there is more pressure on the upper body. This is more difficult than the regular push up. The height on which the box is raised can be adjusted to either increase or decrease the resistance of the body weight.
Clapping Push Up
Clapping push up is very difficult and proper training is required as the risk of getting injured is very high. Here the technique is to push yourself up with such force that the palms come off the floor, which allows you to clap in the air, and then place it again in the original position.
One Hand Push Up
This is the same as the standard push up with the only difference being that one hand is held behind the back, while the push up is done with the other hand.