Straw hat has been a part of the fashion trend since a long time. It is mostly used while gardening or at the time of relaxing on the beach. The straw hat owes its popularity to the fact that it is lightweight and durable. You also get a lot of varieties in the straw hat, among which you can choose the one that suits your personality. Straw hat can get dirty at times, especially around the brim. In this article, we bring you some handy tips that will help you know how to effectively clean a straw hat at home itself. Follow them properly and find your straw hat clean and attractive.
Cleaning Straw Hat
- Remove the decorative items, like floral elements, wires and ribbons, from the hat.
- Use a soft bristle brush to wipe away the dirt and debris lying on the surface of the straw hat.
- For a light-colored straw hat, use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water, in the ratio of 1:1. On the other hand, mix ½ teaspoon of ammonia into ¼ cup of water for cleaning a dark-colored straw hat.
- As per the color of your hat choose the appropriate solution and fill it in a small spray bottle. Spray the solution on a soft cloth.
- Now use this cloth to wipe a small portion of the hat, to check if the solution discolors the hat. In case it does, discontinue cleaning with the mixture and use simple water to clean the hat.
- If your hat can resist the solution and undergoes no discoloration, clean the entire hat using the cloth.
- In case your find any stubborn stain on your hat, spray a considerable amount of the cleaning mixture on the hat and wipe it well, using a cloth.
- You can also improve the color of your dark colored straw hat. Add 1 teaspoon of alcohol to a cup of water. Pour this mixture on a piece of dark colored velvet on the hat and rub it well, to make it darker.
- Once the hat is properly cleaned, allow it to dry for a long period of time. After it gets dry, replace the decorative elements on the hat.
- You can re-shape your hat by holding it over a pot of steam. Move the hat around the steam and allow the air inside to dry properly. You will find that your hat gets a proper shape.
- You can clean the sweat band by scrubbing it with a small brush dipped in a mixture of soap and water.
- Always wash your hands properly before cleaning the hat. This will prevent the oil of your hand from staining it.
- You can spray stain repellant on the hat after cleaning it, in order to prevent it from being stained in the future.
- Be careful while storing your straw hat. Keep it is a proper place, where it shall retain its shape. You can either hang it on a hat stand or place it over a coffee can or a one-liter soda bottle, which has been turned upside down.
- Avoid keeping your straw hat in extreme hot or cold temperatures. Also, protect it from direct sunlight, as this can fade its color.
- Do not wet the hat too much, as it can cause shrinkage.
- In case of expensive and antique straw hats, go for professional help while cleaning.