Remember, the taste of the delicious homemade applesauce that churned out of your grandma’s secret recipe book. Every time you asked for a candy, your grandma would cook this up to satisfy your craving for sugar. To multiply the taste quotient, she would often mix a variety of apples. Healthy, nutritious and tasty, a dessert couldn’t get more fulfilling, isn’t it? Did you know that a single serving of applesauce contains 130 calories, 1 gram of protein, and 1 gram of fat and 30 grams of carbohydrates? Moreover, it is really easy to prepare. Browse through the article to know how you can make the blissful applesauce at home.
Homemade Applesauce Recipe
- 3-4 lbs Apples (peeled, cored & quartered)
- 4 strips Lemon Peel
- 3-4 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 inches Cinnamon Stick
- ¼ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup White Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- Put all the ingredients into a large pot and cover it. Boil the ingredients.
- Now, lower the heat and allow it to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- After about 30 minutes, take the pot off the heat. Pick up cinnamon sticks and lemon peels from the mixture and mash them with a potato masher.
- Either serve the sauce hot or refrigerate it before serving. The applesauce freezes easily and lasts up to one year, when kept in the cold freezer.
- Applesauce when served with vanilla ice cream or vanilla yoghurt tastes delicious.
- 2 Sweet Apples
- 2 Tart Apples
- 2 Fuji Apples
- 6 ½ -inch x 2-inch strips Lemon Zest
- 1 Vanilla Bean (broken or cut crosswise into 3 pieces)
- 1/3 cup frozen Apple Juice Concentrate
- First quarter the sweet apples. Remove the core from each wedge and coarsely chop the wedges. Now peel, quarter and core the remaining apples and chop them coarsely.
- Now place the chopped apples in a deep, heavy saucepan.
- Add lemon zest, vanilla bean and frozen apple juice concentrate to the saucepan.
- Now, set the saucepan over medium-high heat and allow the contents to boil.
- Once the contents just begin to boil, reduce the heat to medium immediately and cover the saucepan.
- Now, let the mixture simmer for about 20 minutes, until the sweet apples become tender but the pieces hold their shape and the other apples fall apart.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, uncover it and allow it to cool.
- The vanilla bean can be removed now, rinsed and left to dry. A single vanilla bean can be reused for up to 6 times.
- Store the apple juice in an air-tight jar, up to 1 week.