Eucalyptus essential oil is extremely esteemed for its therapeutic properties and has gained ground as one of the naturally existing anti-septic, anti-bacterial essential oil. Eucalyptus essential oil is obtained from the leaves and the branches of the eucalyptus tree, Eucalyptus globulus', also known as the fever tree. Widely preferred for its aromatic effect, this earthy, woody, sweet-smelling oil has been used to relieve stress and calm disturbed minds. The word ‘Eucalyptus’ has been derived from the Greek words 'eu' and 'kalypto', which mean 'well' and 'covered' respectively. Eucalyptus essential oil has been extensively used to assuage swelling, relieve headache, cure rheumatism and soothe sore muscles. It works well against inflammation, wounds and eruptions. Eucalyptus oil is preferred due to its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, antiviral and antiseptic properties. Eucalyptol is the main ingredient in eucalyptus oil that has strong germicidal and disinfectant properties. The oil functions as a diuretic, lowers blood sugar and helps relieve coughs and fevers. Eucalyptus oil is an effective analgesic and is often used in preparations designed to relieve muscle, nerve and joint pains. To know more on its health benefits, read on.
Health Benefits Of Eucalyptus Oil
- Eucalyptus essential oil comes charged with hordes of health benefits and is primarily used to tackle all kind of respiratory ailments. Highly prized as antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiviral, anti inflammatory and decongestant, eucalyptus essential oil is used to fight diseases like cold, cough, running nose, sore throat, asthma, nasal congestion, bronchitis and sinusitis.
- Eucalyptus oil is known to work wonders as an antiseptic gargle. Its powerful germicidal properties effectively wipe out staphylococcus bacteria and have been used to treat tuberculosis.
- Eucalyptus essential oil is known to be a great antiseptic. It is widely favored to treat wounds, ulcers, burns, cuts, abrasions and sores. The oil works equally well against insect bites and stings.
- Eucalyptus essential oil works really well against all kinds of pains, especially muscle and joint pains. Due to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory elements, it is often suggested to patients down with rheumatism, lumbago, sprained ligaments and tendons, stiff muscles, aches, fibrosis and even nerve pain.
- Eucalyptus is best-loved for its cooling, relaxing effect. It is extensively recommended to soothe agitated minds, since it is known to remove exhaustion and mental sluggishness, thereby rejuvenating the spirits. It is used to treat various mental disorders and is often treated as a stress buster too.
- Eucalyptus essential oil is extremely beneficial against oral ailments and is found to be effective against cavities, dental plaques, gingivitis and other dental infections, due to its germicidal properties.
- Eucalyptus essential oil, due to its refreshing aroma, is widely preferred as a perfect room freshener for hospitals and sickbed atmosphere. It is known to eliminate bacteria and germs in the air, thus helping to keep the room environment hygienic and germ-free.
- Eucalyptus essential oil has gained prominence as anti-bacterial agent and is widely used in soaps, detergents, household cleaner, mouth washes, and toothpastes. It is also added to baths, spas and saunas for a rejuvenating impact.
- Eucalyptus oil is used by veterinarians to treat dogs suffering from distemper. It is also used to treat other pet diseases like septicemia, or blood poisoning.