Having curly hair is a mixed blessing. When they are styled the right way and the ringlets fall smoothly, you cannot help falling in love with them. However, the moment frizz appears, you start wishing that you were born with smooth and straight hair. The same curly hair that got you so many compliments as a child end up turning into frizzy mess as you grow older. The problem is not your growing up, rather the fact that you have stopped caring for your hair. Curly hair, if properly taken care of, can indeed make you the envy of your friends who have flat-falling straight hair. In the following lines, we have provided some tips for taking care of curly hair.
How to Care for Curly Hair
- Proper Haircut
- Special Hair Products
- Daily Conditioner
- Deep Conditioner
- Styling Products
- Hair Pick
- The first thing that you need to do is get a good haircut, from a professional stylist. For maintaining curly hair, it is very necessary to have it cut in a good style. At the same time, make sure to visit him again, every 6 to 8 weeks.
- Make sure that each and every hair product that you use is specifically meant for curly hair. Be it styling tools, shampoos or conditioners, every product should come with the phrase ‘for curly hair’ written on it.
- Do not shampoo your hair on a daily basis; otherwise your hair will end up getting frizzy. Rather, wash them every other day or every two days, since natural oils in your hair keep the curls smooth.
- Every time you wash your hair, make sure to condition them also. However, remember to apply the conditioner only on the ends, and not the roots. After keeping it for a few minutes, rinse the hair thoroughly.
- Deep condition your hair after every 2-3 weeks. This will not only keep your hair smooth and supple, but also help prevent the occurrence of split ends.
- Never ever use a comb for combing out wet hair. Instead, make use of a pick. This is because curly hair is fragile and a comb can make it break very easily. A pick will remove tangles easily, without stretching or breaking the hair shaft.
- While choosing your styling product, be sure of the purpose you want to use it for. A serum keeps curls firm and glossy, while a mousse or gel makes them stiffer. On the other hand, a straightening solution will make your curls wavy and remove their springing texture.
- Whenever you blow dry your hair, make sure to use a diffuser. It will help distribute the heat and air, leading to tight and composed curls, avoiding the frizz altogether.
- Do not touch your hair. Touching and fingering the hair will make them very wiry. It is advisable to keep your hands away from your hair as much as you can.