The festive season has ended and you reminiscence the fun you had during the vacation. The brightly colored streets, the carnivals with fun things to do and buy and the fairs with delicious street food - everything was just so good. Festive season is a time of indulgence and we all go buzzing around treats like chocolates, ice creams, cotton candy and candy apples. With an attempt to indulge the sweet tooth, while staying healthy, candy apples were created. It is an interesting combination that is healthy as well as gratifying to the sweet tooth. Candy apples are known by various names and are made during different festival in different countries. In England, they are known as toffee apples and had during early November; in US, you get candy apples during Halloween; in Germany, they are usually had during the Christmas season, while in China, a similar treat called Tanghulu is had. A healthier variation to this treat is the candy apple salad. Unlike some of the other recipes, where actual candy is used, this recipe is different and healthier also. Read on and explore candy apple salad recipe.
How To Make Candy Apple Salad
Recipe Type: Vegetarian
Serves: 8 servings
Calories Per Serving: 299
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 21 minutes
- 6 Apples (preferably tart apples)
- 1 can Crushed Pineapple, with juice
- 1 tbsp Flour
- ½ cup White Sugar
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1 cup Dry Roasted Peanuts (roughly chopped)
- 1 container Whipped Topping (to be thawed, if frozen)
- On medium heat, mix together pineapple, flour, sugar, vinegar and egg in a saucepan.
- Cook the mixture for around 6 minutes. Stir continuously until the composition becomes thick.
- Bring the mixture to boil and then aside to cool.
- Once it is cold, fold the pineapple mixture in the whipped topping, in a large bowl. Make sure the pineapple mixture has completely cooled down or else it will become very thin when the whipped cream is mixed in.
- Mix half a cup of peanuts and apples into the mixture carefully. Make sure you peel, core and chop the apples before mixing.
- When done, sprinkle nuts on top.
- Your candy apple salad is ready!
- A variation to this is recipe is where actual chocolate (like snickers) is used. This version is simpler and easier to make, but tastes entirely different. For this, unwrap around 6 bars of snickers into a zip lock pouch and batter them with a kitchen mallet. If you want a neater look, do not use frozen bars. Chop apples after peeling and mix with candy and whipped cream. Place the mixture in a glass bowl and set it to chill for around an hour. Once it is chilled, sprinkle with caramel topping, to finish a mouth-watering dessert.