Lettuce is one of the most delicate salad plants in this world, which is grown as a leafy vegetable. The vegetable is usually consumed as cold and raw, in salads, hamburgers, tacos and a number of other dishes. There are basically six different types of lettuce, namely Butterhead (Boston or Bibb), Chinese lettuce, Crisphead (Iceberg), Looseleaf, Romaine (Cos) and Summer Crisp (Batavian). All of them are used for the purpose of making salads. Usually, lettuce leaves are slightly bitter; however they might be specifically bred in a way that helps rid them of the bitterness. Being high in nutritional value, lettuce offers its users a number of health and nutrition benefits. To know more about them, let us check out the information provided in the following lines.
Nutritional Value of Lettuce
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 100 gm of lettuce:
- Carbohydrates - 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber - 1.1 g
- Fats - 0.2 g
- Protein - 1.4 g
- Water - 96 g
- Vitamin A - 166 μg
- Folate (Vitamin B9) - 73 μg
- Vitamin C - 4 mg
- Vitamin K - 24 μg
- Iron - 1.2 mg
- Energy - 10 kcal (60 kJ)
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Lettuce
- The juice of lettuce, when mixed with rose oil and applied to the forehead, can help ease headache and even aid a sound and restful sleep.
- Lettuce, being high in dietary fiber, aids digestion and is good for those suffering from constipation.
- Lettuce has been associated with reducing the risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke and cataracts. This mainly results from the presence of beta-carotene, the chief disease-fighting nutrient, in the salad.
- Since lettuce is pretty low in calories, it makes the perfect snack for those trying to lose weight.
- Lettuce is rich in folic acid, which is known to help prevent neural-tube birth defects in the beginning stages of pregnancy.
- It is believed that consumption of lettuce might help one get over nervous insomnia, as it contains a sleep-inducing substance.
- Lettuce has been found to be beneficial in the prevention of spina bifida and anemia.
- Lettuce has been associated with better liver health.
- Lettuce is frequently suggested to men who are suffering from the problem of premature ejaculation.
- A mixture of lettuce juice and spinach juice is said to be good for those who are troubled by the problem of hair loss.
- Lettuce is believed to be quite beneficial for people who often suffer from the problem of nervous cough.
- The high magnesium content in lettuce makes it rich in reviving powers, in relation to muscular tissues, brain and the nerves.
- Lettuce can prove helpful in treating acid indigestion, anemia, arthritis, catarrh, circulatory problems and colitis.
- Those suffering from gastritis, gout, irritable bowel, obesity, sexual addiction, stress, tuberculosis, ulcers and urinary tract diseases might benefit from the regular consumption of lettuce.