Iodine Rich Foods
Iodine is a mineral that is essential for the growth and development of an individual. It is mainly present in saline water and soil. In fact, the amount of iodine that we can obtain from plants is dependent on the extent of iodine present in the soil. The main source of iodine in the diet of an individual comprises of salt intake and consumption of seafood. The mineral is a major component of the thyroid hormones produced in the body, which are responsible for regulation of metabolic processes, such as growth and energy expenditure. Since thyroid gland does not have the capacity to store the required amount of iodine, it is necessary for a person to consume small amounts of iodine on a regular basis. Read on to explore a list of iodine-rich foods, along with the benefits of consuming the mineral.
List Of Foods High In Iodine
- Cheddar cheese
- Cheese cake
- Condensed milk
- Fish oils
- Fresh fish
- Iodized salt
- Jaffa cakes
- Malt bread
- Naan Bread
- Sea foods
- Sea kelp
- Sea salt
- Yorkshire pudding
Benefits of Iodine
- One of the most prominent benefits of iodine is that it influences the functioning of the thyroid gland, thereby increasing the production of the hormone. This increased production of thyroid hormone is directly proportional to the basic metabolic rate. It influences the heart rate, blood pressure, body weight and temperature and also helps in protein synthesis.
- Less intake of iodine leads to loss in energy levels and the feeling of being lethargic. Iodine helps in optimum utilization of calories without allowing deposit of excessive fats, thereby raising the energy levels.
- A healthy intake of iodine helps in maintaining shiny skin, teeth and hair. Lack of iodine in the body can not only cause hair fall, but also restrain hair growth.
- Sufficient iodine intake is extremely essential to allow normal growth and maturity of reproductive organs. Iodine also determines proper movement and growth, along with speech and hearing, in babies.
- Right iodine levels in body can curb the condition of fibrosis, turgidity and breast tenderness. It acts as a relief for fibrocystic diseases and is, hence, widely used in therapies.
- Research shows that iodine has anti-cancer properties. It is believed that cancer cells tend to shrink, when administered with iodine.
- Iodine is also believed to remove toxic elements from the body. Apart from biological toxins,chemicals such as fluoride, lead and mercury are flushed out, thereby improving the immune system of the body. It also prevents the proliferation of harmful bacteria in the stomach.
- Did you know that the deficiency of iodine in the body causes thyroid and goiter disorders? As such, people with these diseases should have liberal amounts of food that contain iodine. It would work as a healing agent for the enlarged thyroid gland.
- The presence of iodine in the body helps in ensuring the apoptosis or programmed cell death, which is essential in the formation of new organs as well as in the removal of malignant cells, like cancer cells or diseased cells.
How to Cite