Almost all of us long to have stunningly striking and attractive eyes, but how many of really care for what we have! Now, this is a question best left unanswered. Eyes comprise of one of the most neglected features in our body, when it comes to taking care and being concerned. Practically, all that we think of is beautification of the eyes, even if that means using products like kohl or shimmers; made with harsh chemical. Taking proper care of your eyes is an easy task and requires almost little or no effort. Just by having balanced diet, regularly practicing eye exercises and taking certain basic precautionary measures, you can enhance the life and vitality of your eyes. Sounds incredible, doesn't it! But believe us, this is all your precious little pair of eyes demands. In the following lines, we have mentioned easy ways on how to take care of your eyes.
Taking Proper Care Of Your Eyes
- Diet holds the key for maintaining healthy eyes. Include a lot of green vegetable and fruits in your diet. They not only help you have an improved vision, but assist in keeping your eyes healthy and fit as well. Lack of Vitamin A can cause severe eye damage, so make sure to increase the intake of foods rich in the vitamin.
- Carrots are especially recommended, if you want to take good care of your eyes. This is because they are laden with beta carotene, which is especially helpful in maintaining healthy eyes.
- One of the most popular and effective ways to take care of your eyes is to keep freshly cut cucumber slices over your eyes for at least 10 minutes, before going to sleep, every day. This is also an effective way to prevent puffiness and inflammation.
- If your job demands you to work with chemicals or harmful airborne particulates, make sure you take preventive measures, before commencing the work. Goggles or any other eye protective wear is a must in such circumstances.
- Those wearing contact lenses should not extend the duration to more than 12 hours. Though companies may claim of no-harm caused, it is after all an outside element. When worn for a long time, on continuous basis, contact lenses might cause permanent damage and discomfort.
- Talking about eye drops, the best advice would be to use them sparingly. An anti-allergen used once in a while, say during the allergy season - to reduce the itchiness or redness, is okay, but chronic use can actually worsen the problem.
- Before using any type of eye-drops, make sure you read the label well. Almost all the drops available in the market suggest not using them, while wearing contact lenses.
- This might come to you as a surprise, but even our eyes get affected by the harmful ultra violet rays. So, the best way to protect them would be to wear UV protective sunglasses. While buying, make sure you get polarized lenses and not just dark ones. While the former would protect your eyes from UV rays, the later only causes your pupils to dilate.
- Believe it or not, studies have shown that smoking causes cataract and macular degeneration, a condition where cells in the retina actually die. So, refraining from smoking is a good way to protect your eyes, apart from the innumerous other health benefits it has.
- Another way to take care of your eyes would be to indulge in eye exercises on an everyday basis, for at least 10 minutes. However, just doing exercises would not be totally effective. You need to club them with a healthy diet, proper nutrition and efficient cleaning of the eyes.
- Regular check ups prove to be one of the effective means of caring for your eyes. After all, they are the most precious components of your body and need proper attention and care!!