As the name suggests, pink eye is a medical condition, wherein the color of the eyes turns pink due to viral or bacterial infection. Usually it occurs due to an allergen, which refers to a general irritation and redness of the eye and the surrounding membranes. It is also referred to as conjunctivitis and can also occur due to lack of Vitamin A. Considering the fact that conjunctivitis can occur due to so many varied reasons, it becomes, quite essential to find out the reason and cure it quickly. Given below are some vital tips for getting rid of pink eyes.
Home Remedy for Pink Eyes
- Try to figure out if your pink eye condition is due to a specific allergen. It can be dust, pollen or animal dander. In case yes, then try to stay away from them.
- Washing your eyes with cold running water is the best way to eliminate contaminants out of your eyes.
- Apply warm washcloths on each eye repeatedly. Do not use your hands as they contain bacteria.
- Wash your hands thoroughly if you wish to apply them to your eyes for any purpose. Dirty hands will introduce more bacteria, aggravating the condition.
- You can use an antibiotic ointment or eye drop to get rid of the bacteria in your eye. However, it should be under the supervision of a doctor.
- To get rid of the pain and itchiness, you can apply boric acid mixed in warm water to your eyes.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are suffering from pink eyes, as it may irritate your eye tissues.
- You can use apples for treating pink eyes. Take 1 tablespoon infusion that is gold petals in 125 ml of boiling water. Strain the liquid and simmer one peeled finely chopped apple in it. When the apple become soft, drain it and let it cool. On cooling, put it in between two layers of gauze and apply on your eyes for 10 minutes
- You can also use a small quantity of fresh castor oil and put it along the eyelids.
- You can also use almond, apricot and coconut oils.
- Freshly crushed mint leaves are also quite beneficial for pink eyes.
- If the symptoms persist or worsen, consult your doctor immediately.