Flooring is one of the essential elements of a house. Not only does it serve as the base of the house, but also imparts it a distinct look. It is usually seen that people get bored with a particular set of flooring after sometime. Another case may be that the flooring gets damaged and you decide to replace it with a new one. One of the best options in case of flooring is hardwood. Not only are hardwood floors strong, but also give the house an aesthetic look. Due to its sheer elegance, hardwood floor is one of the most preferred types of flooring.
Hardwood floor is easy to maintain, unlike the carpeted floors or similar types. In case you are planning to change the flooring of your house to hardwood, you need to measure the floor first, and then go to the next step. Measuring the floor is important, because there might be a lot of wastage of the wood (and thus, money as well), if you do not know the dimensions of your room at the time of purchasing the material. Check out the tips given below, for measuring a room for the same.
How to Measure for Hardwood Floors
- Tape Measure
- Take the tape and measure the length of the room.
- Next, you need to determine the width of the room.
- Write both length and breadth on a paper and multiply.
- Now, you will have the total area (in square foot or square meter) of the room.
- Measure all the smaller sections of the room, like closets, under the stove, refrigerator, etc.
- Add the space required for the smaller sections to the total area.
- Add the waste factor, to the sum arrived in the previous step, by multiplying the total area by 1.05 or 1.10.
- If you have an uneven number with you, round it up to the next whole number.
- The figure that you have with you is the measurement for the hardwood flooring.
Why To Use Hardwood Flooring
- The high-quality look of hardwood flooring provides elegance to the home décor.
- This type of flooring requires less maintenance. Hardwood flooring can be easily cleaned by vacuum cleaning it, sweeping it or using plain water and mop (for stains). Moreover, its smooth surface doesn’t hold on to allergens and contaminants.
- Hardwood floors score on their high strength and durability. Most of them are manufactured in such a way that they retain their smooth finish for a long time.
- The flooring would increase the resale value of your home, because the flooring is considered very classy. This makes it a good long-term investment.
- Hardwood flooring offers innumerable choices in its appearance. You can get either pre-finished or unfinished hardwood flooring, depending upon your budget, choice and the décor of your home.