Tote bags are trendy accessories, which come very handy while carrying lunch, books and other small items. You can find a variety of tote bags in the market, each being distinct from the other. While the pricier ones are generally made from fine quality upholstery fabric, the cheaper and sturdier ones are manufactured with heavy materials, such as denim, canvas and jute. You can make tote bag at home as well, by using an old pair of denim jeans. Check out the directions given below and learn more on how to make a tote bag.
Making A Tote Bag
- Denim Jeans
- Measuring Tape
- Iron Box
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Machine
- Measure the material, depending upon how big you want your tote bag to be.
- Cut out two rectangles from the material, using a pair of scissors.
- For a small tote bag, the appropriate measurement is 12x14 inches. You may cut out 14x16 inches rectangles, if you want a medium sized bag.
- Set aside the left-over material for later use. This shall be used for the straps of the bag.
- Place the first rectangular piece of cloth on a flat surface. The shorter sides of the rectangle will make the top and bottom of the tote bag.
- Fold one inch from the top edge of the piece of cloth and secure it with straight pins.
- Iron the fold, so that it remains pressed.
- Make use of your sewing machine to sew the creased fold, straight across the edge.
- Take the second rectangular piece of cloth and repeat the above steps.
- Now, take both the rectangular pieces. Lay one of them on a flat surface, and place the other piece on top of it.
- Secure the pieces to each other, using straight pins.
- To attach the two pieces permanently, sew them together. Be sure to leave a ½ inch seam on both the sides.
- Sew around the three sides of the material, except the top side, which will serve as the bag opening.
- Your tote is ready! Turn it inside out, so that the sewed edges are inside the bag, while the outside gets the finished look.
- Press the bag smooth, with the iron.
- Now, take the left-over material and lay it on a flat surface.
- Cut two pieces out of it, each measuring about 8 inches long and 3 inches wide. Make sure that the pieces are cut out as per the size of the tote bag.
- Place the edges of the strips about ½ inch below the edge of your bag opening.
- Secure the strips with straight pins, first and then stitch them to the bag along their edges.
- Your tote bag is ready to be used!