A quick way to save money on home energy bills is to clean the electrical appliances. Talking about refrigerator, the cleaning process should be undertaken regularly, so that the cooling system works efficiently, that too for a long time. Proper maintenance and cleaning methods can prolong the life of a refrigerator. One of the main parts of a refrigerator is its coils, which should be cleaned at least twice a year. These coils are engineered to remove the heat from the refrigerator. When these coils are filled with dirt, the refrigerator not only runs less efficiently, but it also consumes more power. Also, if your unit does not function perfectly, your refrigerated food will get contaminated due to its exposure to incorrect temperature. Cleaning filthy refrigerator coils religiously on a periodic basis will ensure that the appliance runs for years to come. Therefore, all you need is a bit of effort so that you can avoid major expenses in the future. In case you want some tips on cleaning the refrigerator coils, this article will help you a great deal. Some simple tips on cleaning refrigerator coils are mentioned in this article. Go through the following lines and know how to accomplish the task.
How To Clean Refrigerator Coils
- Unplug the refrigerator and position it away from the wall. Turn the circuit breaker off, if your refrigerator is a built-in model.
- Locate the refrigerator coils. These are found at the bottom of the unit or concealed behind a rectangular cover panel, which is also called a kick plate.
- Take off the cover panel, so that the coils are visible. In case of built-in models, you need to remove the kick plate. The plates, in most of the models, come off easily, without the removing the fasteners.
- Clean out the dust and debris in and around the condenser coils, using the narrow nozzle attachment of your vacuum cleaner.
- Long-handled bottle brush can also be used for the purpose. If so, sweep the brush over and under the coils and remove the dirt properly.
- A dryer vent brush will be the appropriate tool to use, if your refrigerator is old and has not been cleaned since a long time.
- After the coils have been cleaned thoroughly, replace the plates on the refrigerator.
- Keep the refrigerator in its original position and turn the power supply on.
- Always turn the power supply off before you start cleaning any part of your refrigerator.
- The condenser coils of built-in models should be cleaned at least once in two years.
- While vacuuming the dirt from the coils, take care not to damage the fins or the coils.
- If you have the user manual of your refrigerator with you, make sure to consult the manual so as to locate the coils and to know how to remove the kick plate from the unit and reattach it correctly.
- While cleaning the coils, ensure that all food items are covered properly and are not exposed to the dirt particles.
Cleaning refrigerator coils regularly will ensure the proper functioning of the unit and the extended life of your refrigerator. You can clean the coils yourself without depending on anyone and the best part is it will only take less than 30 minutes of your time for this task. Keep your refrigerator in a perfect condition and you will not have to incur future expenses. Not to forget, dirty coils lead to consumption of more electricity, so that is another important reason why cleaning refrigerator coils is very much necessary. So follow these simple tips on how to clean refrigerator coils to ensure high-performance of your machine.