Due to faulty diets, irregular lifestyles and the subsequent buildup of stress, the body becomes a storehouse of toxins. The harmful chemicals in the body must be eliminated so that they do not interfere with the normal bodily function. Excess toxin buildup can lead to various diseases and disorders that must be controlled with a balanced diet, exercise, and dietary supplements. To provide the body with the right amount of nutrition, it is essential that supplements be taken and chosen with care so that in lieu of the beneficial effects they do not ground one with side effects. Quercetin is one such nutritional supplement whose effects and side effects are widely studied. Its advantages are enormous like it has been found to possess many anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. To top it all it is also a plant-derived flavonol so it is free from any artificial chemicals. This makes it safe against any long-term health hazards. However, there are side effects related to the amount of intake and its usage. To know more read the article below for the various side effects of quercetin.
Harmful Effects Of Quercetin
- The most common side effect of quercetin is the allergic reactions that it causes in some people. These allergies can be anything from itching, rashes, wheezing, hives, to mouth sores, breathing difficulty and swelling of the tongue, lips, or throat.
- Unregulated use or overdose of quercetin can cause vomiting, nausea and dizziness. Sometimes, the condition can aggravate to vertigo and migraines. These side effects are accompanied most of the time by sweating and flushing.
- Another side effect is the stomach discomfort that it causes. This is especially the case with people who have a weak and sensitive stomach. As such, they should avoid this altogether or take in recommended doses. The various stomach discomforts that the use of quercetin can lead to are acid reflux, heartburn, upset stomach, and indigestion. Take care that you do not take it in an empty stomach or the side effects will be stronger. The best is to take them in between meals to avoid the side effects.
- Taking quercetin in high doses sometimes can cause kidney infection. Though it is rare, proper precaution must be taken to escape from this side effect.
- Sometimes, it can also lead to pro-oxidant effects. This happens especially when it is not taken in proper doses. So, instead of providing any positive benefits the wrong dosage can lead to adverse effects. Taking quercetin in small doses is the best solution.
- If quercetin is taken over long duration, it can also lead to joint pain.
- It can also cause hormonal imbalance, especially the sex hormones. The side effects can lead to the increase of estradiol, thus reducing the effectiveness of the estrogen. People who are on a hormone replacement therapy should avoid this, as they are more susceptible to the side effects of quercetin.
- In some rare cases, the function of the antibiotics is inhibited by quercetin.
- It may also have an adverse affect on people suffering from high blood pressure.
- Intake of large amounts of quercetin with other anti-oxidants like vitamin C can also have adverse effects on the body. If both of them are taken in high doses, it can cause inflammation rather than reducing it.