Liquid fasting diet, as the name suggests, consist of fluids as the main ingredient. People on liquid fasting are advised to consume nutritional drinks, including fruit juices, vegetable juices and smoothies, so that their body gets the energy required for proper functioning. This diet helps a great deal in shedding weight quickly. Moreover, it helps you build the momentum that can enable you to sustain a long-term weight loss program. In the following lines, we have given some useful tips on liquid fasting diets.
Liquid Fasting Diet Tips
- It is recommended to consult a physician before starting a liquid fasting diet.
- Dairy products are strict no-no. This is because dairy products may prove to be hard on your body, when you are liquid fasting. Moreover, it takes a long time to digest dairy products.
- Protein is a very essential nutrient for the body, especially when you are fasting. A minimum intake of 20 grams protein per day is highly recommended. Protein smoothies taste great and are apt for liquid fasting diets. Make use of soy, rice or whey protein powder to make delicious smoothies. Start the day with a glass of smoothie, in the breakfast.
- Apart from protein, vitamins and minerals are must-have nutrients in liquid fasting diet. Essential vitamins are found in fruit juices. You may opt for multi-vitamin or multi-mineral supplement as well.
- Caffeine and alcohol consumption should be kept at minimal levels, when you are on liquid fasting diet. It is better to avoid both, as these liquids tend to dehydrate the body, which may result in excessive loss of water. If the withdrawal of caffeine triggers headache, consume only half-cup of coffee in the morning.
- Make a wise choice of fruit juices. The high amount of fructose or glucose in commercially-produced fruit juices may escalate hunger, increasing your appetite. Hence, prepare fresh fruit juice at home. It is suggested to have diluted form of fruit juice, rather than the concentrated one. If the diluted form doesn’t taste good, go for vegetable juices.
- Most people on liquid fasting diet negate the function of fats. Essential fatty acids are very important addition to the diet, as they will help a great deal in absorbing the food and keep you from feeling hungry.
- Your body needs a regular supply of energy when you are on a liquid fasting diet. Since your body is getting lesser amount of calories as compared to a normal diet, you need to drink liquids frequently. Increase the frequency of the consumption of fluids to once every two to three hours. Intake of vegetable juice or diluted fruit juice after every three hours is also recommended.
- Drink plenty of water all through the day. This will help you a great deal in detoxifying the body.
- A cup of herbal tea or black tea in the afternoon is energizing. Moreover, it serves as a great anti-oxidant. To make the beverage delicious, add honey or lemon to it.
- Vegetable juice works perfectly for dinner.