Home is the place that reflects our personality. A somber person is usually seen as having plain walls - usually of white color, minimal ornamentation and simple designs in the house. On the other hand, in the house of a fun-loving person, you will most probably find lots of colors, adornments, designs and patterns. If you are one of those who love to flaunt your house and its beauty, then textured drywall is just the thing for you. Tear the wallpapers off and experiment with some texturing. In case you need any help, in the form of tips, just browse further and gather all the information.
- Drop Cloth
- Drywall Joint Compound
- Taping Knife
- Paintbrushes (old)
- Soft-bristled Brush
- First of all, go to the market and buy premixed drywall joint compound. It will be available at any home improvement center, lumberyard or hardware store.
- Make your walls bare by removing everything from it, including switch plates and receptacle covers.
- Remove the furniture lying near the wall that is to be textured and cover it with old clothes.
- Next, spread drop cloths on the floor. It will keep the compound from running the floor of your house.
- Before you start texturing the wall, make sure to remove any traces of wallpaper from it.
- Using a thin layer of the compound and the taping knife, edge all along the baseboard, corners and ceilings. The usual thickness of the layer is 1/8 inch. Go for more thickness only if you want a very rough texture.
- Start texturing the wall, making sure to cover only a small area of the wall at one time.
- Make use of paintbrushes or wallpaper brushes, for creating different types of patterns on the wall.
- You can also take sponges and stroke or swirl it on the wet surface, to make patterns.
- In case pre-created designs are what you desire, make use of the stencils available in the market.
- Another option is to have your child’s handprints or footprints on the wet surface.
- Make sure to alternate between application of the compound and its texturing, until the entire wall gets covered.