A healthy life is based on a knowledge of healthy diet and nutrition. And this knowledge is best cemented when developed from the infancy. When kids grow up, they are flooded with messages that will counteract everything that you taught about good food and diet. In that case, only if you have given them a thorough understanding of healthy diet and nutrition, they will be able to pass over the constant commercials for junk foods and crash diets. Remember that good diet is the foundation on which the lifelong health depends. Teaching your child about healthy diet and nutrition is perhaps the best gift that you can give to your child. For that, you don’t have to start a war at every meal, which will anyway make the process more futile than fruitful. Instead, cultivate a lifelong relation with healthy food in children by adopting simple things like involving them in cooking, making them understand what they are eating, and first and foremost leading them by your own example. Eating healthy and teaching them about healthy diet and nutrition goes hand-in-hand. You cannot have one without the other. So, make your child eat a healthy diet and in the process teach him/her all about diet and nutrition. To help you in this, go through the article below for tips on teaching the child about healthy diet and nutrition.
Teaching Your Kid About Healthy Diet And Nutrition
- To teach healthy diet and nutrition to your child, first arm yourself with all the useful information relating to it. You can do this by reading books on nutrition, but the most effective will be if you can speak to a nutritionist and learn as much as you can about healthy diet. Make sure that you learn the relation between different types of foods and diseases.
- Once you are ready yourself, then only you can teach the child why he or she should eat certain foods and why some other foods are not good, even if others are eating them, and also the co-relation between good health and good food.
- One excellent way is to read books on nutrition with the child. And it can be a fun filled activity. There are many children books that focus on nutrition with colorful pictures and diagrams that are sure to attract the child.
- In addition, there are also specialized games based on nutrition that can teach a lot about a healthy diet.
- Make children taste, samples of different fruits and vegetables and then tell them what nutrients and minerals each of them contains and how it is going to benefit the body.
- Don’t brush off children's question regarding the diet. It is natural for children to get confused when you tell that some foods are good and some bad, when they see others eating them. So, tell them why those foods are not good.
- For small children, it is better to give them a more hands-on experience. Take the fruit in your hand and explain the nutritional value while feeding them.
- Prepare big charts with big diagrams detailing the foods and their nutritional value. Hang this in the kids’ room and in the kitchen. While feeding the child make him/her go through the diagrams, with you explaining the various nutritional facts.