One of the oldest and most popular materials used by man, leather is employed for making shoes, clothing and accessories. It offers many advantages, right from strength and versatility to good looks and comfort. It can easily be molded and adapted to a given shape, thus providing softness and stretch. However, sometimes, a leather item becomes too tight to fit you, especially when you buy a new piece or have not used an old one for quite sometime. For example, when you purchase a pair of perfect-fit leather shoes, it is quite possible that it hurts the feet when worn for a long period of time. You can also develop blisters on the feet, making it all the more difficult to wear the shoes. Now, you do not have to discard your leather shoes or leather clothing. The best way to make them comfortable is by stretching them. Read on further to know how to stretch leather and get your leather items to fit you snugly.
Leather Stretching Tips
- Get a leather stretching spray and apply it to your leather shoes. The leather material will get soft and stretchy. While using leather-stretching spray, you will have to wear the shoes continuously, so that they get adapted to the shape and size of your feet.
- You can also buy a shoe-stretching machine, which can help in the process of stretching leather.
- The sprays and machines are useful for stretching men’s shoes as well as women’s sandals. However, there are shoe stretcher machines designed especially for ladies’ shoes as well.
Warm Water Method
- Fill a container or tub with warm water.
- Immerse the leather item fully in the water.
- If needed, twist and knead the leather item until it is completely soaked in the water.
- Leave it soaked in water for 10 minutes.
- Wear the leather clothing or shoes, so that it stretches to fit the body perfectly.
- Wear it for a considerable time, say for an hour or two, to get a better fit.
- Warm water method is best for big leather items, like shirt, pant, jacket, etc.
- Insert a plastic bag into the shoes.
- Fill the bag with water.
- Seal the plastic bag to prevent water from spilling out of it.
- Place the shoes in the freezer.
- Water will solidify into ice, thereby stretching the leather.
- The ice method is very useful for stretching leather shoes.
- Mix three parts of water with one part isopropyl rubbing alcohol and fill the solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the areas where the leather item is too tight.
- Immediately wear the item and leave it on, until the solution dries up completely.