One of the most abundant metals, found in earth's crust, aluminum is best known for its ability to resist corrosion. In fact, it is owing to this particular quality of the metal that it is used to make a large number of items, right from utensils to drinks cans, foil wrappings, bottle tops, high voltage electrical wires and golf clubs. Apart from that, it also finds application in aerospace as well as transportation industry. In case you use aluminum objects at home, you must have noticed that, after some time, they develop scratches on the surface and start looking dull. In the following lines, we will tell you how to polish aluminum.
Aluminum Polishing Techniques
- Sandpaper or Sander
- Aluminum Polish
- 2 Soft Cloth Towels
Sand the Aluminum
- First of all, you need to take into consideration the size of the aluminum object as well as the depth of the scratches on it.
- If your aluminum item is considerable in size, a sander will work the best. However, for small items, regular sandpaper is desirable.
- The grit of the sandpaper will be determined on the basis of the depth of scratches. For deep scratches, get 120-grit sandpaper/sander and in case of small scratches, go for 400-grit sandpaper/sander.
- Next, you will be required to use the sandpaper or sander over the area with scratches, in an even, back and forth motion.
- Buff a small area at a time and, following the above step, cover the entire surface of the aluminum item.
- After you have buffered the entire area, look over it. The scratches should be eliminated, with only light marks being visible. If not, then repeat the buffing process once again.
Polish the Aluminum
- After sanding the aluminum item, you would have to polish it. You can find aluminum polish in the market as well as on the internet.
- Take a soft cloth towel and dip it into the aluminum polish.
- Rub the damp cloth over the aluminum, in a circular motion, covering a small area at a time.
- Take another soft cloth towel and use it to rub the area that you have just polished.
- Following the above two steps, polish the entire surface of the aluminum item.