Come winter, and everybody rushes to the store to get the latest moisturizer to keep their skin from drying. However, did you know that the exact method of moisturizing your skin largely depends on your skin type and the kind of climate pertaining in your region? Though most of you moisturize your skin, do you know the right time to do the same? To solve all such queries, a reading of this article would come in handy. Extremes of temperature cause dryness in the body. Result - chapping and flaking of the skin. To keep your skin soft and supple, it is absolutely necessary to moisturize your skin. Practicing a regular skin care regimen would help you flaunt healthy and shining skin. If you want to get detailed information on how to moisturize your skin, browse through the tips given in the lines below.
Tips For Moisturizing Your Skin
- Moisturizing keeps your skin soft and supple. In this content, it is very necessary to know the best time to moisturize your skin. Ideally, you should use a moisturizer right after bath or shower and before going to sleep. This would help lock the moisture in your skin and prevent dryness and chapping.
- The kind of moisturizer that should you use is also a consideration to make. While those with an oily skin can go for oil-free, water-based moisturizer, thick, oil-based moisturizer works the best for people with dry skin.
- People with combination skin can alternate between oil-based and water-based moisturizers. This would prevent their skin from being either too dry or too oily.
- In case you have a sensitive skin, go for a gentle, fragrance-free, and hypoallergenic moisturizer. This would prevent any allergic reactions and also keep your skin moisturized.
- The type of climate also defines the kind of moisturizer to be used. For those living in desert or colder areas, a heavy moisturizer would be of help. However, a light moisturizer would serve the purpose in areas that have humid temperatures.
- Most of the people are extremely conscious about their face, ignoring other parts of the body. However, bear in mind, just as your face, your body is also important and requires adequate moisturizing. Make sure you apply moisturizer on dry elbows, knees, legs, breasts, and other areas that are prone to flaking and chapping.
- For elderly people, moisturizers that contain alpha-hydroxy acid, selenium, or Tropoelastin are the best bet. They keep the skin healthy and shining.
- It is advisable to pick a moisturizer that contains Vitamin A and Vitamin E. These nutrients provide the much needed strength to the skin.
- For those who want to protect themselves from sun, a moisturizer that contains low levels of sunscreen, such as SPF 15, would be the best bet. This would not only negate the harmful effects of UV rays, but also keep your skin soft and smooth.
- Remember, moisturizing alone cannot help. Wear gloves, scarves, and hats to prevent chapped skin and loss of moisture
- A home remedy for dry skin would be to mix olive oil and sugar in equal proportions. Apply this mixture in circular motions and allow it to sink in the skin. After some time, wash off the mixture and pat dry the area. You would be surprised to see the results.
- Keep you body hydrated, by drinking at least 6 to 8 glasses of water per day.
- Make sure that you do not apply moisturizer too often, even if you have extremely dry skin. It would result in clogging of the pores.
- Lastly, remember, it is never too late to start with the moisturizing process. So what are you waiting for? Just apply the moisturizer and make your skin soft, smooth and supple.