All of us have heard of fairies as a child, when our grandmothers or mothers narrated fantasy tales. It always amused us and made us feel happy, giving us hope that probably one day we might just become like fairy. All those grown up girls, who have the childhood dream intact and still aspire to look like a fairy, we can help you achieve it that by telling you how to make your own fairy wings. Apart from your own self, fairy wings can prove to be quite useful for your little daughter as well, who can put them on in a fancy dress party. Even you can wear them for costume parties, conventions, gatherings, street fairs, parades, Halloween and stage plays. With the help of the tips given below, you can surely give yourself an angelic look.
- Craft wire
- Duct tape
- Pair of pantyhose
- Sewing needle
- Wire cutter
Tips to Make Fairy Wings
- Take the piece of an aluminum wire, easily available from a craft store. For making sturdier wings, thicker wire should be used. The length of the piece can vary from 5 feet to 10 feet, which will be suitable for a small child or for an adult, respectively.
- Bend the wire into a large circle and tape the ends together with duct tape, so that there is no sharp poking.
- Now, twist the large circle to give it the shape of number ‘8’. To prevent the intersection from shifting, tie it with some tape.
- To give the wire a more realistic shape of the wings, bend each side of the figure 8. This entirely depends upon you, so be creative and experimental. Pointy angular wings or round wings both look cute.
- Separate the legs off of a pair of pantyhose. Stretch one leg over each side of the wings. Tie the open ends of the legs together in a knot in the middle of the inside part of the wings.
- For decorating the wings, you can use host of items such as sequins, ribbon and glitter. Personalize your fairy wings by sewing an appealing fabric onto the pantyhose. Multiple fabrics can also be used for a patchwork design.
- For making armholes, sew elastic loops onto the back of each wing.