Bedroom is the place where you come back to, after a hard day at work. It serves as the refuge of people, where they manage to forget all the tensions of the life outside. This is why due emphasis should be paid while designing or remodeling it, so that it radiates a feeling of comfort and warmth. Since bed is the most important aspect of the bedroom, you need to be sure that it looks inviting to the occupant. One of the best ways to enhance the look as well as comfort level of your bed is to add a headboard. In case you do not have much cash, don’t worry. You can easily build a headboard at home, provided you follow the right instructions. To help you in making your own headboard, we have provided a number of tips in the lines below.
How to Make a Headboard
- Staple Gun
- Tape measure
- Upholstery Foam
- First of all, you need to decide on the design that you want for your headboard.
- While designing the headboard, make sure that it is large enough to be visible behind pillows and other accessories.
- If you want, you can also take ideas from magazines or internet, while designing the headboard.
- This is also the time to decide on the fabric choices. For the purpose, keep wall colorings and bedding in mind.
- After deciding on the design and fabric, it is the time to cut the plywood to size. Make use of saw for that.
- After you have cut down the plywood to the required dimensions, run sandpaper over the edges. It will smoothen out them.
- Next, you will be required to attach the upholstery foam.
- Create the padding for your headboard by cutting the foam in the same shape as your headboard.
- While cutting the foam, make it about an inch longer than the headboard, on all sides.
- With the help of a staple gun, attach the foam to the plywood. Alternatively, you can use spray adhesive also.
- Now, it is the time to add the batting.
- Cut the batting as per the size of the headboard, making it about six inches longer on all sides.
- Wrap the batting over the plywood and foam. Using staple gun, attach it to the back of the headboard.
- Using the iron, remove all the wrinkles or creases in the fabric.
- Cut the fabric as per the size of the headboard, keeping five inches on all the sides.
- Starting from the top, wrap the fabric around the headboard. Attach it to the back of the board, using the staple gun.
- Keep on doing this till the time the entire piece of fabric is secured behind the headboard.
- Your headboard is ready for use.