Floating shelves are very helpful in keeping your photos, glassware and various figurines that you might have, safe and sound. These are known as floating shelves because you cannot see the brackets or the hardware that holds them up.
These types of shelves are generally made up of two pieces - a strip of lumber attached to the wall and a hollow door which is cut to exact size. If you have always wanted to know how to build simple floating shelves, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we tell you how to make floating shelves.
But, before you go about making a floating shelf, you will need the following things.
- Cut to size hollow door
- Stud finder
- Small screws or brads
- Wood glue
Building floating shelves is not as tough as you might think. Now that you have got the required items, follow the steps mentioned to make the shelves.
- First and foremost determine how many shelves you want, how long you want each of the shelves to be and where you will put them
- With the help of the stud finder that you have, locate the studs on the wall. Once you start finding the studs, mark them with a pencil or small piece of tape.
- Next, mark the wall with a pencil or strip of tape. This will help you to determine the horizontal placement of each shelf.
- Now, start the process by cutting the door in half, lengthwise, with the help of a saw. Make sure that the door is cut straight.
- After the door is cut, measure the width of the hollow space in the door. Cut the lumber to the thickness of the door.
- Now, simply attach the lumber to the wall with screws. Attach it directly into the studs. Make sure that it is leveled properly.
- Finally, nail the shelf using small nails or even brads. But, remember to start in the middle and work out gradually to the sides. Space the nails evenly along the shelves.
Tips and Warning
- You can use a table saw instead of a circular saw for a very clean and proper cut.
- If you want to paint your shelves, do so before installing them. Also, if you plan to paint the room, paint it before you install the shelves.
- Remember that these shelves cannot be removed without actually destroying them.
- These shelves will not be able to hold more than a certain amount of weight. They will be fine for holding things like photo frames and some lightweight glassware, but do not place heavy objects in them or they might just break.