A new job may make you feel intimidated, uncomfortable and anxious. Though it provides one the opportunity to meet new people, it is not always as exciting for your workplace may hardly give you much of a chance to make friendly bonds that can add to your comfort. It will take you a fair amount of time to adjust in your new work setting and get comfortable with your co-workers. Fitting doesn’t come easy, especially when it’s the place where you work. However, you can surely make some efforts from your side to develop comfort with your co-workers as well as your work. In case you are wondering how to be comfortable at a new job, read the article for some helpful tips.
Tips To Feel Comfortable In A New Workplace
- Take lunch with your co-workers. This will also give you an opportunity to know other people in office and lessen your anxiety. You can ask your colleagues to go to lunch, or you should accept their invitation if they ask, without any hesitation. Begin by asking the officemate who sits closest to you. The more comfort level you build with your co-workers, the more ease you will feel at your new work place.
- Talk to the other employees in office. If you are standing near the water cooler or the photo copy machine and there are others around, smile and give them a simple greeting. If you want, you can introduce yourself and even ask others about their work in office.
- If your officemates try to talk to you, show ample interest. Don’t come across as confused or too anxious, for some might perceive it as an attitude problem and may be reluctant to approach you the next time. Greet others warmly and let them know that you are willing to join them.
- Try to remember the names of other people. This is the best thing you can do in a new environment, so that you have the comfort of knowing people at a new place. While this may be difficult for you in the beginning, wishing people with their names in office is a great idea to become more familiar with them, in due course of time.
- Try to love your work. While this can be certainly difficult for you, at least in the beginning but if you can bring yourself to like your work immensely, you will naturally feel comfortable in office and be able to enjoy what you are doing. Develop interest in your work and ask seniors to guide you, if you fail to understand anything.
- Accept invitations to join other employees, whenever you get one. Some colleagues go out to have drinks together and relax. If your officemates ask you to join them for drinks, don’t avoid for the fear that you don’t know them well to drink with them. You will get the opportunity to know them better and develop a congenial relationship with them, which will also help you in the office atmosphere.