Diabetes is a lifestyle disease, which occurs due to increase in blood sugar level. This calls in for treatment by medication as well as following a strict diet plan. As far as the medicines are concerned, their basic function is to bring the diseased situation back to normal. However, the standard health condition cannot be maintained if the food eaten by the patient increases the sugar level, as it will nullify the effect of the medication. Thus, diabetics are supposed to stick to healthy foods. Given below is a list of best food items for diabetics.
Foods That Can Be Eaten
- You can eat all meat items, such as lamb, beef, pork, bacon, etc
- Meat can also include the organ meats such as liver, kidneys, heart, as they contain high doses of vitamins and minerals required for your body.
- You can have poultry items, such as chicken, goose, duck, turkey, etc.
- All animal and meat fats.
- Fish and seafood of all types can also be eaten.
- Eggs, except ‘omega-3 eggs’.
- You can have all cheeses, except cottage cheese, as it is high in carbohydrate content and has very little fat.
- Butter and cream can also be used. Use butter in cooked vegetables instead of gravy; use cream in hot drinks in place of milk.
- Plain, natural full-fat yogurt.
- Vegetables and fruits, keeping the carbohydrate content in mind.
- Condiments like pepper, salt, mustard, herbs and spices can be readily added to food.
Foods to Be Avoided
- Avoid sugary foods and artificial sweeteners, including honey. The only sweetener allowed is stevia.
- All types of sweets and chocolates, including the sugar-free ones.
- Grains and food items prepared from wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice, bread, pasta, pastry, cakes, biscuits, pies, tarts, breakfast cereals, etc.
- Avoid starchy vegetables like potatoes and parsnips in particular; while go easy with beet, carrots, peas, beans, etc and packets of mixed vegetables which might contain them.
- Beans, except the runner beans.
- Take milk only in small quantities.
- Avoid sweetened fruit and low-fat yogurts.
- Stay away from commercially packaged foods, fast foods and snack foods.
- Follow restraint with respect to fruit juices, as these are quite high in carbohydrates.