Albert Einstein died as a sad and shattered man and he said ‘If there is another life, I would like to be a plumber. I don't want to be a physicist.’ You may have been shocked to know this and must be wondering why the greatest scientist to have ever lived on the earth said so. It is one of hundreds of side effects of a nuclear explosion or atomic bomb blast. It is said that Einstein worried, it would be horrible if German scientists developed nuclear weapons for Adolph Hitler. So he himself sent a letter to the then U.S. president Franklin D. Roosevelt stating that through recent studies in nuclear physics “it would be possible to set up a nuclear chain reaction in a large mass of uranium and this phenomenon may also lead to the construction of extremely powerful bombs.” He did it to save the world from Hitler’s intense cruel clutches but he got shocked when he came to know America has bombed Japan with nuclear bombs. We know what had happened to Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Second World War and world still feel guilty of what happened there. The nuclear weapons not only damaged human beings but destroyed the environment, the flora and the fauna of those lands. Read on the article to know more about Atomic bomb blast effects.
Nuclear Bomb Effects
- Any life form which is close to the point of nuclear detonation, within a radius of 4 to 6 miles, is certain to die. Radioactive debris dropped from the sky in Hiroshima which is called as ‘black rain’ destroyed so many people who were not even near the places where the explosion happened. It was reported that black rain lasted for almost one and half hour.
- Atomic bomb blast sometimes may not kill the people but will leave them in a far worse condition that death. This was happened in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Many of the survivors suffered from cancer, tumor and cysts. The nuclear detonation caused unusual tissue growth in affected people and made them terribly ill and extreme exposure of radiation was the prime reason for it. It is estimated that almost 200,000 people died only due to the extreme exposure of radiation.
- This kind of radiation effects is still being observed in the survivors and/or their new generations even after almost 60 years of the attacks. Most of the younger generation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were born with abnormalities such as prenatal blindness or deafness, stunted brain growth, deformed bone structure and heart and lung problems.
- A nuclear blast also expels a big amount of thermal radiation, which includes harmful ultra violet rays which can be the single big reason of skin cancer. Some other destructive effects of thermal radiation are severe eye injuries and thermal radiation. These injuries can happen to people even beyond the blast range. Flash blindness is a specific kind of eye injury which is caused by the initial bright flash of light caused by the nuclear explosion.
- Even a small scale use of atomic weapons could devastate the world’s eco systems and weather balance. These damages are likely to continue for half a decade. Radiation from nuclear explosion can float in the upper reaches of the atmosphere and may spread to the other parts of the world. The nuclear explosion also destroys the ozone layer.