Naturalist Henry David Thoreau wrote "It is remarkable how closely the history of the apple tree is connected with that of man." And how well do we all connect to this statement. Be it in terms of facts or folklore, apple is surely the king of the health world. You can either eat it raw or have a glassful of juice of this virtuous fruit and be rest assured. The oft-repeated phrase - an apple a day keeps the doctor away - holds true after all. We all know that apple has a long list of health benefits, but do you know that the same holds true for apple juice as well. In the following lines, we have provided health benefits of apple juice.
Health Benefits of Apple Juice
- Apple juice is a rich source of vitamin A and C. The raw apple peel contains vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. Its primary function is to improve vision. Vitamin C, on the other hand, strengthens our immune system and is also a good anti-oxidant. The anti-oxidant factor prevents the risk of cancer. Small traces of vitamin K, vitamin B1 or thiamine, vitamin B2, B3 as well as vitamin E are also present in the apple juice.
- Apple juice is rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber. Pectin, a type of soluble fiber, which aids in flushing toxic metals such as lead, mercury and aluminum from the body, is also present in apple juice. Pectin has the capacity to bind with the radioactive residues and remove them from the body. It also plays a role in keeping the intestines in good health. Soothing the intestines, it helps those who suffer from perpetual constipation.
- Apple juice also maintains a fine balance between the good and bad bacteria present in the colon.
- Another function of apple juice is to reduce the high level of cholesterol in the body. The insoluble fiber present in apple juice provides bulk in the intestinal track. It helps to hold water and clean the intestinal track so that the food can move rapidly through the digestive system.
- Apple juice has a high mineral content. Minerals such as potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, silicon, magnesium, copper, zinc and chlorine help in maintaining a smooth, glowing skin as well as healthy finger nails and hair. Presence of potassium reduces the symptoms of arthritis and rheumatism, which makes apple juice truly beneficial for the elderly. The juice is also believed to contain traces of boron which promotes healthy bones.
- A significant concentration of poly phenols present in apple juice increases the anti-ageing factors of the body and also reduces the likeliness of developing cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Apple juice is also a rich source of phytonutrients, which makes it anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant as well as anti-histamine agent. These compounds reduce the impact of LDL or bad cholesterol in the body, which, in turn, causes a plaque inside the coronary artery wall and leads to atherosclerosis.
- Apple juice serves as an immediate source of energy, because of the natural sugar content that the fruit carries.
- Apple juice flushes out harmful toxins from the liver and kidneys and reduces the chances of any disease affecting these vital organs.
- Research studies show that apple juice increases the acetylcholine content in the brain and aids in increasing one’s memory power.