For many people, mention allergies and they will think that you are talking about their spouse. However, allergens, the substances that cause allergies, look far less formidable than spouses but can cause severe reactions that belie their size. They can also prove more irritating than your partner. Everybody knows how dust and other small grains, like pollens can irritate the respiratory tract but who could have guessed that such seemingly harmless substances can lead to the activation of body’s defense mechanisms causing violent reactions in the body. And allergens are not only confined to the air. There also some foods that can cause allergies, and they are the most life threatening. The most number of allergy related fatality has been reported from foods. Allergies, most commonly asthma, are nowadays affecting a wider populace because most people have a very hazy idea of the various types and the ways that it can occur. If the awareness of the occurrence of allergies is bleak then the knowledge of its various treatment options are just as minimal. For example, many people don’t know that there are designated specialists to treat allergies known as allergists, and they are the best who can be of any help to them. It would also be of enormous help if you know the treatment options that you can go for. Read below to know more.
Treatment Of Allergies
All the medications that you go for should be on the recommendation of your doctor.
- Spray of oral decongestions is very effective in providing relief. The decongestants unclog the nasal passages and facilitate breathing. You can go for oxymetazoline or phenylephrine based medications, which are spray-based decongestants. Oral decongestion that you can use is pseudoephedrine.
- To get relief from the inflammation in the nasal passage you can use any of the steroid nasal spray. The sprays should have either of the steroids fluticonase, mometasone, triamcinolone or beclomethasone. These steroids can provide instant relief from the inflammation.
- Allergic reactions are produced due to the release of histamines. So, using medications that neutralizes the action of histamines can provide relief against allergies. For mild symptoms you can use over-the-counter antihistamine drugs. But these can offer only short term relief. The best is loratadine which does not have the side effects like drowsiness or affect the learning in children like other drugs.
- Eye drops or nasal sprays containing cromoglycate can help prevent allergic attacks.
- If medications fail then allergy immunotherapy is the best option. In this therapy, allergy extracts are injected to desensitize the patient. The allergen is injected into the patient, one to five times a week, with the strength of the dose increasing gradually. After the maximum dose, the patient receives maintenance injections frequently. It can take about three to four years for complete cure.
- Those who are allergic to dust and pollen should wear a pollen mask when going out. They should also stay indoors during the mornings and on windy days as during this time the concentration of pollen in the air is more.
- People with food allergies should make sure that the food they are eating should not contain any ingredients that they are allergic to.
- Keep the doors and windows closed more often. Instead, use air conditioners. This will prevent the dust and pollen from entering the house.
- Bathe your pets at least once a week to rid them of dander. Keep them away from the bedroom.
- To reduce dust mites use cotton or synthetic clothing. Remove the feather pillows and woolen blankets. You should also cover the mattress and pillows in plastic barrier cloth.
- Steam wash the carpets and rugs. Wash all the clothes, blankets, and sheets in hot water.
- Install air filters and air dehumidifiers in the house to prevent the entry of airborne allergens.