We live in a planet which is changing constantly. Are you concerned about the world we live in? Do you think that an individual can make a difference here? Of course, you can. The surprising element in this is that you do not have to change your lifestyle to create this impact on the environment. The only thing we need to do is to rely more on natural power sources and avoid wastage of natural resources of power. For instance, walking to the nearby grocery store instead of using vehicle reduces air pollution and use of energy and at the same time, reduces the time you spend at the gym. These tips also enable a person to become more responsible and less dependent on convenience. Here are some tips regarding how to help environment. You need not put any extra effort. Just by remembering some small things, you can play a big role in preserving environment.
How To Preserve Environment
When in Home
Never waste water. Turn off the tap when you are not using water. Use the water once used to wash vegetables or salad to water your houseplants. Don't leave fridge doors open for longer than required. It would help save energy. Turn off electrical and electronic equipments when they are not in use, be it lights, televisions, printers and computers. You could thus save power. Use rechargeable batteries and recycle your paper, glass, plastics and other waste. Set up a system of collecting rainwater and using it later. Switch on to fluorescent or LED light bulbs as they are durable and use one-quarter of the energy used by the other bulbs. Moreover, while leaving a room, close the doors which help in saving lot of excessive heating or cooling which is required to keep the room warm.
Use plastic as little as possible. Take pains to carry your own bags to the shops for taking back your shopping. Prefer organically grown fruits, vegetables, cotton clothing, and hemp-fiber products. Avoid supporting the plastic and glass bottles which play a big role in creating mountains of rubbish. Opt for biodegradable cleaning products which have no negative effect. Try to buy energy-efficient household appliances.
When in Garden
Stop using chemical pesticides and use natural products. Use plants that repel insects in place of chemical products. Mix neem oil with garlic oil. Spray it on tree trunks and diseased plants and shrubs. It would destroy bacteria and fungus. Use organic compost to improve soil health. You can make your own compost with grass clippings and vegetable scraps from the house. Avoid using electrical equipment in the garden unnecessarily.
Support tour operators who shape their itinerary with environment in mind. Visit parks and nature reserves. This could lead to protection of additional nature. Don't disturb wild creatures while in the park. Enjoy wildlife but from a distance. Reduce car use and use public mediums of transport. Choose hotels with an effective waste treatment system. Say no to products made of animal hides and body parts.
- Unplugging the laptop chargers or toasters saves lot of energy as the appliance consumes power even while it is turned off.
- Plugging all the electrical appliances into a power strip will enable you simply turn off the power strip once you are done with using.
- Using Photovoltaic solar panels in houses helps to generate electricity from sunlight which can further be used to produce power for thr houses. These panels reduce the need for gas or electricity or the central heating system.
- Stop dropping litter as it is mistaken as food by most of the birds and animals. Moreover, it ends up in rivers, drains or sea, either blocking them or being eaten by fish. Some litter remains there for over thousands for years.
- Most of the household cleaning products contain harmful chemicals which are washed down the drains. Buy eco-friendly products or make your own products from natural substances like lemon juice and vinegar.
- Cut down the consumption of meat. Make one or two days of your week meat-free.
- Give the food leftovers to worms in your wormery which itself turns itself into a healthy compost for your flowers and vegetable garden.
- Adopt recycling methods. Use unwanted or a leftover food including tea bags and potato peelings into the compost heap. Little insects present in these composts helps in breaking down the food and plant into scrumptious soil.
- Try steps like planting a herb garden. By this way, you can keep the environment green, grow eco-friendly products.
- Create a homemade compost bin. This fertilizes your herb garden or any plant you have.
- Switch on to a solar geyser. Even if you are using a regular geyser, make sure you bring the settings down to 40°C which is more than hotter. Even during winters, 4nder one hour of sun, the water becomes hot enough for a bath.
- Stop using plastic bags. Buy re-usable bags which can be taken along for shopping.
- Buy glass bottles to store water as they are much healthier and better than plastic bottles.
- Wash laundry in cold water instead of using hot water.