The origin of the name ‘lavender’ is quite interesting. In Latin, it is known as lavare which means “to wash”. And indeed the aroma of lavender essential oil leaves one with a sense of purity. It seems that the lavender clears the body of all that is harmful. That is why it is extensively used in aromatherapy because of its power to soothe and relax both the mind and the body. Tired nerves, body pain, stress and many other ailments disappear by the use of lavender. Traditionally, lavender was mostly used in the manufacturing of perfume because of its rich aroma. Nowadays, it is one of the most widely recognized and used herbs in the world. It is extensively used to make soaps, toothpaste, and various other products. From its use in treating and disinfecting wounds during the World War II, lavender has surely come a long way. Keeping lavender at home is an excellent way to keep some of the common illnesses at bay. Using lavender regularly will not only keep you in top condition but will also endow with a glow and radiance that will counter all those things that makes age hurtle down upon you.
Health Benefits Of Lavender
- Lavender is often used to cure insomnia. This essential oil is very effective in inducing sleep.
- Various types of pain caused due to sore and tense muscles, sprains, rheumatism, and backache can be relieved with lavender. It is also very effective in reducing joint pain. Massaging the body with lavender essential oil is the best way to combat body pain.
- Lavender has a very soothing effect. So, it is very good in soothing the nerves and also provides relief against many nerve related ailments. The aroma can relieve tired nerves and restlessness. Nervous tension, migraines, depression, and anxiety can be relieved with lavender essential oil.
- It is also extensively used in treating various types of respiratory disorders like cough, flu, cold, asthma, bronchitis, laryngitis, and tonsillitis. It can also be used to cure throat infections. Lavender can used either in the form of vapor or the oil can be used for massaging the neck, skin and back.
- Lavender has a variety of antiseptic and antifungal properties. So, it provides excellent benefits to the skin health. Skin ailments like acne, psoriasis, wrinkles, and various types of skin inflammation can be effectively treated with lavender. In addition, it can also be used to treat wounds, cuts, and burns.
- Lavender oil can eliminate lice and lice eggs from the hair. When lavender is mixed with thyme, rosemary, and cedar wood and massaged onto the scalp, it can significantly decrease the hair fall.
- Lavender also boosts the blood circulation of the body.
- People suffering from high blood pressure can use lavender since it has been found that lavender oil can lower the blood pressure.
- Lavender also boosts the body’s defenses against various diseases. It provides strength to the immune system and so helps the body protect itself from various ailments.
- Lavender not only stimulates the production of gastric juices, and bile but also enhances the mobility of the intestine. As such, it is very essential for digestion. It can also be used to treat the symptoms of indigestion like flatulence, stomach pain, vomiting and colic.
- Since it stimulates urine production, lavender can be used for urinary disorders. It also reduces the risk of developing inflammation of the urinary bladder.
- Lavender is also known to enhance positive mood. As such, it can be used to counter frustration and depression. The calming properties of lavender are very good in dealing with stress.