In the hectic world of today, where healthy diet and clean environment has become almost like a dream, people have started turning to holistic medicine as the perfect alternative. Now, coming down to what exactly is holistic medicine, it can be explained as a sum of alternative health practices, used to treat a person 'as a whole'. Rather than being a procedure or cure for any particular disease, it is philosophy that aims at dealing with not only a person's physical parts and systems, but also his spiritual being. This is because it is believed that the mind and emotions are connected as much to the spirit as the body.
Different From Conventional Healing
The concept of holistic healing is much different from the conventional healing methods. One of the major differences is that the latter concentrates on a particular area of the body only (which ails a person), while the former tries to incorporate the entire being in the healing process. Rather than just the body, holistic healing has its reach spreading over to the mental as well as spiritual well-being. It encourages people to follow healthier lifestyle choices and indulge in positive thinking and emotional wellness.
Unlike the conventional medicine practitioners, holistic practitioners try to steer as clear of surgery or drugs, as treatments, as possible. Rather, they tend to concentrate on meditation, prayer, herbs, vitamins, minerals and exotic diets, as a means of fighting against various ailments. Study of the senses, daily life and diet is what the holistic medicine concerns itself with, rather than medicines and surgical procedures. By incorporating a connection between the mind and body, it aims at providing healing in a more natural way.
- One of the basic elements of holistic medicine comprises of aromatherapy, which revolves around the mind as well as the sense of smell. It involves the use of essential oils, and their calming scents, to relax the body and mind, in turn promoting health. Scented candles and incense sticks are also made use of.
- Holistic medicine lays emphasis on relaxation and stress reduction, with the aim of healing the mind as well as the body. In this context, meditation proves to be of great help. It helps rejuvenate the person as a whole and also improves his concentration powers.
- Holistic healing regards exercise as an integral part of a healthy life. However, rather than body building, it lays emphasis on the gentler forms of exercise, which involve both the mind and body. In this context, yoga and pilates are more popularly used.
- A wholesome and well-balanced diet can go a long way in helping a person lead healthy life. Holistic medicine believes in this concept and encourages people to include lots of fresh foods in their diet and keep the use of processed foods to a minimum.
- In some of the cases, holistic healing relies on the use of acupuncture as well. This particular method involves the application of pressure to various points of a person's body, through needles, to balance his energy and ensure overall well-being.