Thinking about hair is a strange thing. You either want it more or you don’t want it at all. More often than not you just want the right amount of hair. The present day generation can go to any length to get the right hair cut even if it costs them large amount of money. Hair has a peculiar habit of showing up in wrong places. Most men want facial hair and all women don’t want. Then there are strands of hair emerging from your nose and ears and the rest of the body. And you surely don’t want them unless you are some style icon or have a fetish for hair. Then there are other parameters like color, strength, terminal velocity and Shehnaz Hussein’s number, or Habib’s saloon and other mindboggling parameters. There are innumerable advertisements yelling at you to dye your hair, color it, dry it, rip it, and show it off. This creates utter chaos. One thing is sure that tension is one of the biggest causes of hair loss in men and women. Most of the bollywood villains have made baldness their style for bad man roles. It’s obvious that when you take off hair, you look like a person who could do more damage. It is so simple, that hair matters on the head. There are a variety of different factors which may contribute to thinning hair. Read the article for causes of thinning hair.
Hair Thinning Causes
- Heredity plays a huge role in hair baldness. Female pattern thinning is a hereditary ailment and can cause the hair to thin prematurely, grow slowly, or fall out. Male pattern baldness also causes thinning of the hair at the top of the head and receding hairlines. This condition is also called androgenetic alopecia. It is a condition that causes progressive thinning of hair in both men and women. If there is a history of baldness and thinning hair in the family, chances are higher that you will suffer thinning hair as well.
- Scalp damage is a type of hair loss also called as Cicatricial or scarring alopecia. It causes thinning of hair in women by forming scar tissue on the scalp from which hair cannot grow.
- One of the causes for thinning hair is an immune disorder called Alopecia Areata. In this disorder the immune system causes the body to attack the hair follicles resulting in hair loss and thinning of hair.
- Thinning of hair might be caused by illnesses, weight loss or even stress. In medical terms it is known as telogen effluvium and is referred to as abnormal change of the hair growth cycle. Illness may cause thinning hair and the hair growth rate and thickness returns to normal after recovery. Health conditions such as anorexia nervosa may also be a cause for hair thinning.
- Styling can be one of the causes of hair thinning. It is caused by excessive hair brushing, and pulling the hair and breaking it from styling. This is more common in women.
- As you grow older there are hormonal changes which can cause shrinkage of the hair among some people. For women hormonal changes during pregnancy, menopause or after child birth can cause temporary thinning of hair in women.
- Certain medications and heavy drugs can also cause thinning of hair. These include anti-depressants, chemotherapy drugs, diet pills, lithium and amphetamines. Taking birth control pills can also cause thinning of hair or even hair loss in some women.
- Childbirth can also be a cause of hair thinning. Hair gets stronger during pregnancy. It tends to weaken and shed in the 3 months following pregnancy. The thinning stops after this period.