Grilled, smoked, or baked salmon is one of the few fishes that have conquered the taste buds of millions. It is rare to find anyone who manages to pull up their nose before a fillet of grilled salmon. From summer to fall, salmon can be had anytime, if you are not particular about eating only what you have caught. Increased salmon farming has resulted in its availability throughout the year and in any place. Its soft meat and the oily texture is a taste that only the best farm raised salmon can give other than the wild ones. However, if you are eating salmon only because of its taste then you should probably learn more about the fish on your plate. This is because other than delighting you with its flesh the salmon is also a storehouse of very important nutrients that are required by the body. The most important is perhaps the omega-3 fatty acids that have a wide range of benefits ranging from giving a glowing skin to boosting your cardiac health. So, the next time you dig your teeth into a succulent fillet of salmon, think of it as one of the healthiest food that you should savor. Given below in the article are the various health benefits of salmon.
Nutrition Benefits Of Salmon
- Salmon is an oily fish, which is rich in Omega-3 fatty Acids. This oil is very effective in reducing the cholesterol and maintaining the health of the arteries and veins. It also strengthens the cardiac muscles and also repairs the damage to the cardio-vascular tissues. The chances of a heart attack are also reduced because this oil prevents the arteries and veins from hardening.
- Salmon promotes cardio-vascular health by increasing the Heart Rate variability (HRV). This reduces the risk of arrhythmia and/or sudden death. Eating salmon increases the HRV in a shorter time period than taking fish oil supplements.
- People whose diets include salmon on a regular basis have a normal blood pressure. The Omega-3 Fatty Acids in salmon helps in reducing and controlling the blood pressure by reducing the levels of cholesterol in the blood.
- Salmon is also rich in selenium and vitamin D. These along with the omega-3 Fatty Acids help in the lowering of sugar by increasing the influence of insulin. This greatly lowers the blood sugar level.
- It is very effective in maintaining healthy vision. The amino acids and the omega-3 Fatty Acids reduce the muscular degeneration, dryness, and eye fatigue and so it results in a better vision.
- Regular consumption of salmon increases the brain function. It keeps the memory sharp and even keeps one awake during long working hours. Along with amino acids, vitamin A and D, and selenium, it protects the nervous system from aging related damages. Salmon oil also relaxes the brain and so it acts an anti-depressant. Salmon oil is also very effective in the treatment of Alzheimer and Parkinson’s diseases.
- Various studies have shown that regular intake of salmon and other oily fishes reduce the chances of colon cancer, kidney cancer and prostate cancer.
- It greatly reduces the inflammation of the arteries thus preventing stroke. The salmon oil also reduces the inflammation of the digestive system.
- Another important health benefit of salmon is that it improves the texture of the skin, hair, and nails. It also gives shine to the hair and eyes.
- It is an excellent source of protein, especially for the sick and the old, as it is easily digestible.
- Salmon also increases the growth of beneficial bacteria in the colon.