Inferiority complex stems from the lack of confidence. It is one of the gravest psychological problems. It is a persistent feeling of being inferior to others. People with inferiority complex live in comparisons. They spend all of their life in comparing themselves with everyone around them. They do not feel satisfied with anything or anyone, primarily because they do not feel content with their own self. They live with the feeling of constant inadequacy. They feel under confident in every new situation in life, because they think that they will not be able to perform as well as others and will not live up to the task. This is why these people resist changes and challenges in life. They also fear getting judged by others and do not want other people to find out that they are ‘inferior’. To hide this self-made issue, these people generally pretend to be somebody else. They guard their real self in the fear of getting caught, which makes them closed and at times mean human beings. They purposely push people out of their life or some of them project the complex in a different way, they become very dependent and needy. Some of these people project this problem in a much negative way and try to pull other people down, the people they think are superior to them. Some of them become sadists, generally the kind, which becomes accustomed to their inferiority complex; they deliberately stay in an oppressive situation, feel inadequate and validate their self generated issues. It is a trap which makes you feel uncomfortable and once you are habitual of feeling that way, it starts making you comfortable in the dis-comfort; so that you do not want to change it, rather you start enjoying the feelings of self-pity and inferiority complex. This is why, it is imperative to deal with it as soon as you realize that it is a problem and it is affecting your life. To live with a defeatist attitude may lead to bouts of depression and clinical-psychological disorders. It is vital to overcome this problem and lead your life in a functional manner. Here are some points that will help you to overcome inferiority complex:
Overcoming Inferiority Complex
- Positive Thinking: Positive thinking is a practice. If it does not come naturally to you then you can consciously make an effort and in-build it in your system. Train you mind in a way that every time you have a negative thought, then you can counter it with a positive thought. Negative thoughts are chained thoughts; one negative thought leads to a bigger one, when ultimately you are left feeling terrible about yourself, obsessing about something inadequate in your life or personality. You can learn to inculcate good or positive feelings in you by reading self-therapy books. A lot of your discomforts and questions will be solved if you try to figure out your issues, methodically.
- Explore Yourself: You need to have a better understanding of yourself. If you suffer from inferiority complex, it means that you have highly under-estimated your capabilities. Explore yourself. Discover the aspects of your talent that you have ignored. It is time that you accept yourself for who you are. There may be some attributes in you that are not as good as others and may be some attributes that makes you unique. Concentrate on the unique features in your personality. Do not demoralize yourself but try to stick to the positive side of yourself. Make it a point to utilize these positive attributes into something, so that it establishes in your mind that you are good at something. For instance, if the best feature of your personality is that you are a compassionate person, devote your time in doing some charity work or social service. This will break the illusions of your mind that you are not good at anything and concretely establishs in your mind that you are a unique person with special attributes.
- Update Yourself: Keep yourself updated. Gain more knowledge and keep brushing your talents and abilities. It will give you confidence and you will feel that you can handle any situation in your life. It will also make you feel like you are in full control of your personality.
- Make Small Changes: Make small changes in life, no matter how inconsequential it feels. These little changes will make you feel like you are making an effort and the charge of your life is in your hands. These changes can be as simple as, doing some task that you have been avoiding for sometime. When you will finish it, it will instill in you a feeling of achievement. It will not make you feel guilty for ignoring it because of your procrastination. Procrastination is also a symptom of inferiority complex. These small achievements will let you gather enough courage to face the big challenges as well. There is another important change that has the potential to bring positive influence; groom yourself. Making changes in the physical appearance is known to boost confidence instantly. Accept your looks, your shape, your size and your color and make some changes, according to your physical attributes. Sometimes a simple haircut is enough to make one feel confident.
- Get Rid Of Negative People: If there is someone in your life who is bring you down or making you feel small, then it is time to get rid of this person. There should not be any place for bullies in your life. If someone does not respect you or love you for who you are, then they should not have a place in your life, especially if you look up to these people or they are the authoritative figures. Once you get rid of these people, you will be able to work on the positive aspects of your life.
- Get Help: Never be shy of asking for help. If you feel that the situation is out of your hands and you are stuck in the similar life pattern, then it might be a wise idea to get professional help. A lot of clinical and psychological help is available to deal with problems of similar nature. Taking help is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength. It says that you are ready to change yourself, which is a very brave step.