The sun spares nothing, whether it is a dense forest or your exposed skin. The notion is not new and perhaps all of us know that the sunrays can be harmful. Though you cannot stop moving out of your house, you can guard yourself with adequate clothing, a hat and glasses. However, such protection isn’t viable at all times, so all you can do is use sunscreen lotion which is quick and easy means to shield yourself from the Sun. Now the point is which sunscreen to buy since the market is loaded with many brands and to choose the right one is a big deal. Don’t worry, here we are providing some requisites of a good sunscreen to help you buy the correct one for yourself.
Image: Fifth World Art@flickr
- To start with, make out the distinction between a sunscreen and a sunblock. A sunscreen could be any form of product, having a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or less. An SPF of 15 indicates that it would take 15 times longer to burn the skin with the sunscreen than without. An SPF of 30 or more is found in a sunblock.
- If you have fair skin, use a sunblock with SPF 30 or more and you need it especially more between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m, when you’re at high altitude, near the equator, or outside in a sunny day. It is essential for everyone, including kids. Throughout the life-span, skin mostly gets damaged before the age of 18. Fair-skinned people require more protection.
- Ensure that your sunscreen is marked ‘broad spectrum’ as it will shield against, both UVA (ultraviolet-A) and UVB (ultraviolet-B) rays. If you are over-exposed to the Ultraviolet radiation, it increases the risk of basal-cell carcinoma and malignant melanoma.
- Make out what protection you’re receiving. A sunscreen with SPF 15 provides you 94 to 95% UVB coverage, while SPF 28 gives you up to 96% coverage.
- If you remain outside for longer duration daily, purchase zinc oxide or titanium oxide (or dioxide) to guard your ears, nose and lips. Such opaque and chemical-free sunblocks are perfect for sensitive skin. Z-Cote is the latest product that offers zinc-oxide protection. It is transparent; therefore you can evade that whitest look.
- If you do swimming or sweat a lot, then but a water-resistant or waterproof sunscreen.
- In case you’re allergic to certain skin products, go for PABA-free, fragrance-free and hypoallergenic sunscreen. Take a patch-test on your skin to verify whether the sunscreen is actually non-allergic.
- If you’re prone to breaking out, choose a sunscreen which is noncomedogenic as it will not block the pores.
- Based on your personal liking, select from the range of lotions, gels, ointments, wax sticks and sprays. Wax sticks are usually for lips. For restless kids, sprays can be an easy job.
- 30 minutes before going out in the Sun, sunscreen should be applied liberally to the exposed parts. Reapply the sunscreen in every two hours, or more frequently if you sweat too much.
Best Brands of Sunscreen in India
- Fair & lovely
- Lotus Herbals
- Shahnaz Hussain