Kids and healthy food! Are you kidding? Kids love to eat junk, sometimes even trash, food. They practically survive on high calorie and low nutrition food items like burgers, pizzas, sandwiches, doughnuts, pastries and french fries. However, making children eat healthy snacks is not so difficult also. You just need to be a little creative and they will be licking their fingers off healthy food too. Want to know how? Just read the ideas for quick and healthy treats given below and watch your kids enjoy eating things like celery also.
Quick and Healthy Snacks for Children
- Take sprouted beans, cornflakes, boiled chick peas and finely chopped tomatoes, boiled potatoes, cucumber, onions and green chilies. Mix them together and add a bit of lemon juice, red chili powder, black pepper and powdered cumin seeds.
- Take brown bread slices, cut the edges and wet them a little. Now add boiled potatoes, boiled green peas, green pepper, carrot and cabbage. Mash together well. Make flattened balls from this and shallow fry.
- Mix boiled potatoes, onions, ginger, garlic and coriander, along with salt, red chili powder, green chilies, garam masala, cashew nuts and a few drops of lemon juice. Knead dough with plain flour. Make small balls & fill them with this mixture. Flatten a little & bake at 200 deg c, for 15-20 min.
- Toast slices of brown bread. Fill with banana and strawberry and brush with a little honey. A healthy and delicious snack is ready to serve.
- Take a watermelon and a few bananas and slice them. Take a toothpick and insert the watermelon slice, then banana slice and finally watermelon slice. Top it with cherry or berry.
- Take ripe bananas, peel them and cut into one-inch pieces. Now, put them in a closed plastic bag and freeze till hard. Take out and run through blender, along with some juice. Serve as banana ice cream. You can also add other fruits and garnish with nuts.
- Make fruit smoothies, with banana, orange, strawberries, blueberries. Put the fruit in blender, with lots of ice and serve immediately after blending.
- Take a few hard grapes and freeze them for a couple of hours. Take them out and insert a toothpick, to make them look like popsicles.
- Serve whole grain crackers, with nut butter. The kids are going to love this snack.
- Make popsicles by freezing fresh, unsweetened juice for a few hours, in a Popsicle maker. Serve when frozen.
- Make cupcakes with whole grain flour and use molasses (thick syrup released as by-product in processing of sugarcane into sugar) instead of processed sugar. For frosting, use yogurt (curd) or cream cheese.
- Take pitted dates (a dried fruit), stuff them with nut butter, almond or filbert and serve.
- One of the best ways to make children eat apples is by serving them with cheese or peanut butter.
- Take tortilla slices (maize bread) and grate cheese over them. Now, bake a little, just enough to melt the cheese. Fold the slices, cut the wedges and serve. You can also serve it with salsa (a kind of sauce).
- Take a celery (a vegetable) stick and spread any type of nut butter on it. Now, spread raisins or seeds over the celery and serve.