It was carried by the three magi all the way to Bethlehem and gifted to the “Son of God”. It has been ranked equal to gold. It was used by the Egyptians, Hebrews, Greek,s Romans, Babylonians, and Persians for spiritual and general purpose. Frankincense was one of the most sought after by kings, spiritual seekers, and healers. Although very uninspiring by sight, the above points speaks volume about the significance of Frankincense in olden times. Even today, it is one of the most hunted after essential oils. Native to northern Africa particularly to Somalia, Oman, and Yemen, and called as Olibanum, it looks like a colossal hedge plant with ridged branches, slender leaves, and little white flowers. The popularity of this tree is owed to the milky-white sap called as tears or pearls, which coagulates into an orange-brown gum resin known as Frankincense, Franc means “pure” and “incensum” meaning “to smoke”. It has been used from around 5000 years as incense and is used even today by Churches and temples around the world as incense. It has a bountiful of health and medicinal benefits. Read on to know some of the most important benefits of Frankincense oil.
Health Benefits Of Frankincense Oil
- Frankincense oil has very good antiseptic and disinfectant benefits. It can be applied to the wounds to protect them from tetanus and is also effective for internal infections.
- It is good for stomach as it relieves one from stomachache, uneasiness and pain in the abdomen. It improves digestion and even alleviates one from the gases from the intestine.
- It helps in fading the scars from the face and body away. Stretch marks, marks of boils, pox, acne etc can be removed with the application of Frankincense oil.
- It also helps to maintain the kidney function properly. It helps in proper urination and let the toxins flow from the body.
- It even helps in lowering the blood pressure. It also promotes the regeneration of healthy cells.
- It is good for women during periods as the headache, nausea, and stomach ache and heavy period can be relieved by Frankincense oil.
- It is also helpful in inducing mental peace, spirituality, calmness, and tranquility. That is the reason why it is used in religious places as incense. It is also beneficial in case of insomnia.
- Frankincense oil was also used as a facemask in olden Egyptian time because it is beneficial in keeping the skin healthy, relieves one from scar, prevents wrinkles, and keeps the skin smooth and young.
- It also eases paranoia and helps in decreasing mental fatigue and stress. It also relieves one from nightmares and exhaustion. It helps in rejuvenating the mind and body.
- Frankincense oil is also helpful against cold and cough. It is helpful in providing relief from muscles and joint pains and is effective in treatment against rheumatism, and even arthritis.
- It can also be used during childbirth as it helps in slowing and deepening the breathing making it very good to use during contraction.