The most common cause of ulcers is the degeneration of the mucosal membranes either through bacterial infection or through the action of acids. In the case of stomach ulcers the hydrochloric acid is responsible for developing lesions on the stomach lining. Severe ulcers are characterized by severe pain in the stomach, nausea and bleeding. While the most common causes of oral ulcers are lack of essential vitamins, stomach ulcers can be caused by various factors like alcohol abuse, smoking and not eating when hungry. Stomach ulcers take quite a long time to heal and so during that time proper diet must be maintained to avoid excess stress to the stomach. The diet should be such that it soothes the stomach lining, instead of irritating it. So, spicy and pungent foods must be avoided. To know further on what diet to maintain during ulcers, read the article below for ulcer diet tips.
Foods To Eat & Avoid During Ulcer
For Stomach Ulcers
Foods To Eat
- Hunger and overeating should be avoided. So it is beneficial to eat four to five light meals throughout the day. Intersperse these with snacks in between.
- Eat more of milk, fish and eggs in each meal. These will supplement the much required protein. Take a glass of raw goat milk every day.
- Drink eight to ten glasses of water every day.
- Boil cabbage leaves in water and drink it like a soup. This is very good in providing relief from the ulcers.
- Drink almond milk which is made by blanching almonds in a blender.
- Eat bananas throughout the day.
- To keep the acidity of the stomach at the lowest level, take antacids one to three hours before a meal.
- The food must be chewed properly so that it gets easily digested. You should also eat slowly and be relaxed.
Foods To Avoid
- Do not go to bed just after eating. Ensure a gap of at least three hours before sleeping.
- Do not take bed time snacks as it can cause gastric acid secretion at night.
- Avoid coffee, tea and other beverages as they can cause discomfort to the body.
- Though milk gives relief, it must not be used as a substitute to antacids.
For Oral Ulcers
Foods To Eat
- Eat only those foods that are easy to digest.
- Carrot juice fast for a period of one to three days is excellent.
- Drink two to three glasses of wheatgrass juice every day.
- Increase the intake of foods rich in vitamin B12, like shell fish, soy products.
- Eat soft grains that are well cooked.
- The vegetables should not be cooked too much.
- Take plenty of vitamin C in the form of citrus fruits like lime and orange.
Foods To Avoid
- Completely avoid or minimize dairy products and oily foods
- Sweet eatables like candies and pastries should be avoided.
- Do not consume raw fruits.
- Too much salt content in foods is also harmful.
- It is better not to take animal proteins.