Coconut is a fruit that is consumed in a number of forms - raw (flesh), milk, water and oil. The origin of the fruit is not clear, though the two most possible places of its origin are South Asia and South America. However, today it is cultivated in almost all the tropical countries. Coconut is a simple dry nut, formed of a number of layers. The outermost is the brown husk, formed of fibers called coir, while the second one is endocarp i.e. an inner stone. As you remove the second layer, you get to the testa, which covers the white and fleshy edible part of fruit. Inside it is the coconut water, associated with a number of health benefits. Coconut water is mostly had from the green coconut, which is not fully ripe. Given below is information on nutritional value and nutrition benefits of coconut & coconut oil.
Nutritional Value of Coconut
Given below is the amount of nutrients in 100 gm of coconut meat:
- Carbohydrates - 15.23 gm
- Sugars - 6.23 gm
- Dietary Fiber - 9.0 gm
- Saturated Fat - 29.70 gm
- Monounsaturated Fat - 1.43 gm
- Polyunsaturated Fat - 0.37 gm
- Protein - 3.3 gm
- Thiamin (Vitamin B1) - 0.066 mg
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) - 0.02 mg
- Niacin (Vitamin B3) - 0.54 mg
- Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) - 0.300 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.054 mg
- Folate (Vitamin B9) - 26 μg
- Vitamin C - 3.3 mg
- Calcium - 14 mg
- Iron - 2.43 mg
- Magnesium - 32 mg
- Phosphorus - 113 mg
- Potassium - 356 mg
- Zinc - 1.1 mg
- Energy - 350 kcal (1480 kJ)
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Coconuts/ Coconut Water
- Being rich in dietary fiber, coconut flesh is good for those suffering from constipation.
- Coconut is good for building up the body muscles of thin and emaciated individuals.
- Coconut milk is good for curing sore throat and even helps relieve stomach ulcers.
- Coconut water has been found to be beneficial for people with kidney problems.
- Coconut water is believed to lessen the rashes caused by smallpox, chickenpox and measles.
- Coconut water is said to be good for the skin.
- Coconut water is used to treat intestinal worms and relieves stomach and urinary problems.
- It has been claimed that coconut water is beneficial for the people suffering from diabetes.
- Researches have suggested that coconut helps in reducing the viral load of HIV.
- The organic iodine content of coconut helps in preventing simple goiter (enlarged non-toxic thyroid).
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Apart from being good for the skin and hair of a person, coconut oil has been found to be beneficial in case of the following ailments.
- Heart Diseases
- High Cholesterol Levels
- Too Much Weight
- Kidney Problems
- Poor Digestion
- Low Metabolism
- High Blood Pressure
- Low Immunity
- Dental Problems
- Low Bone Density
- Premature Aging