Herbal medicines are considered as one of the most effective and safe treatment options for curing various ailments, sicknesses and even mental disorders. They combine the basic system of Ayurvedic herbalism, traditional Chinese herbalism and Western herbalism. Herbal medicines are known by a variety of names, such as botanical medicine, phytomedicine, phytotherapy, medical herbalism, medicinal botany and alternative medicines. The medicines are prepared from numerous parts of the plants, such as seeds, leaves, tree bark, berries, roots or flowers, for treating diseases and a number of health problems, and enhancing general health and wellbeing. They are excellent for improving both the mental and physical condition of human beings. The different herbs that are commonly used for preparing herbal medicines include American ginseng, bee pollen, astragalus, cat's claw, black cohosh, bladder wrack, chamomile, feverfew, damiana, dong quai, flaxseed, ginger, garlic, ginkgo biloba, grape seed, green tea, licorice, muira puama, saw palmetto, suma, schizandra, tea tree, turmeric, soy isoflavones, white willow, and many others. Read on to know the various health benefits of herbal medicines.
Benefits Of Herbal Medicine Remedies
- One of the biggest advantages of using herbal medicines is that an herbalist will opt for a holistic approach, while treating his patients. He will make a note of your entire history, such as medical history, family history, physical symptoms, clinical signs, psychological wellbeing, emotional health, diet, environmental and occupational factors and any past approaches of dealing with the said issue.
- Herbal medicines are 100% natural as they are produced with extracts of natural plants. They do not make use of any chemicals, preservatives or artificial flavoring. Herbal medicines can be taken in the form of tablets, extracts, teas, essential oils or ointments.
- Being natural and safe, they can be directly applied to the wounds, boiled and consumed, or added to the food.
- Herbal remedies are very easy to prepare. The leaves can either be directly applied to the affected area or the leaves and roots can be boiled to make decoctions.
- Preparation of herbal medicines is considerably cheaper than the chemical drugs manufactured by giant pharmaceuticals and sold at pharmacies. Most important, the result of herbal remedies is the same as that of the modern medicines and sometimes even better.
- Most of the herbal medicines can be consumed for longer durations without any known adverse effects. When used appropriately, herbal medicines are safe and have fewer or less severe side effects as compared to conventional medicines.
- For treating minor conditions, herbal medicines can be easily and safely self-administered.
- The herbal medicine remedies improve the operation of the immune system by improving resistance against illnesses.
- Herbal medicines can be used for treating almost any health problem known. Herbalists are often contacted for skin problems like psoriasis, acne and eczema, digestive disorders like peptic ulcers, colitis, irritable bowel syndrome and indigestion.
- Problems concerned with the heart and circulation such as angina, high blood pressure, varicose veins, varicose ulcers, etc and gynecological disorders like premenstrual syndrome and menopausal problems are also catered to with the help of herbal medicines.
- Herbal medicines help in reducing weight and obesity naturally, which justifies the presence of herbal ingredients in a number of weight loss pills. The herbs, when used together, enhance effectiveness, synergize actions and reduce toxicity.
- Other major and minor health problems that are treated by herbs are common cold, sleep disorder, allergy, arthritis, cancer, digestive problems, hair and skin problems, anxiety disorder, respiratory problems, hypertension, diabetes, etc.