“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” This line was said by Audrey Hepburn, and nothing sums, both mental and physical poise more beautifully. In our day to day life we come across people, buckling under stress and anxiety, losing complete control over their body and mind. Yes, poise is the control that the mind has over the body and reversely the body over the mind. This synchronization leads towards a faultless balance that is called poise, where the mind and body is in perfect coordination. Mental poise is achieved through calmness and the strength of will power of the mind, and physical poise through health and fitness of the body. You may ask why poise is so necessary. Poise is necessary so that we can eliminate negative and destructive thoughts and focus on the positive and constructive ones. This makes the life calm and composed. So, read the article below so that you can know how you can improve your poise.
Tips For Improving Poise
Physical Poise Improvement
- To improve the physical poise the bird yoga poses are especially good for creating a lightness of the body. This results in a balance against gravity creating a state of extreme lightness.
- This is known as the flying bird pose (panshee). Keep your feet together and stand straight. At the shoulder level, with the palms facing backward spread the arms out. Lead forward, and rise on your toes and then inhale and exhale. Then lend a little more and breathe evenly. Repeat a few times relaxing in between.
- This is known as the crane pose (bakasana). Spread the legs while standing up straight. Bring your right foot to the front and bend it at the knee. Now bend and place the hands on either side of the right leg, and lift the left leg and straighten it. Now straighten the right leg. Focus on a place in the ground and hold the breath for some time. Release and repeat for the left leg.
- This is known as the swan pose (hamsasana). Sit on your knees with the heels spread apart. Now point the palm backwards, towards the ground and bend the elbows. Put your palms on the ground and placing the stomach on the elbows lean forward slowly till your forehead touches the ground. Slowly stretch the legs behind, one at a time.
Mental Poise Improvement
- Be comfortable with what you are doing and give your hundred percent attention.
- Think of the benefits and interest yourself in your work.
- Have a clear purpose and a strong desire.
- Above all show your commitment and belief.
Don’t Judge Yourself
- Don’t see your flaws through the magnifying glass and criticize yourself constantly. This will help you to make peace with yourself and be more confident.
- Don’t take undue panic. Stay calm and composed. This will help you to utilize all your mental faculties, in solving the problem. If you constantly get freaked out your poise is going to suffer.
Hold Your Head High
- Show your confidence by standing tall and head held high. You will have a far more effective influence if you hold your gaze strong and make eye contact. That is why timid people have such a bad poise as they do not make eye contact .