Let’s break this myth together. Even though, it is true, that being a human we don’t have a very good night vision, it is possible to improve the night vision largely with the help of few methods. Actually, night vision largely depends on some factor and although it is not possible to drastically improve one’s vision, it is possible to better it. Explore the following pointers to know how to improve one’s night vision.
Tips for Improving Night Vision
- Use your peripheral vision for night. The structure of the eye is such that it has ‘rod’ and ‘cone’ cells and while cone cells are better in color detection, rod cells are capable in catching movement and are better for low light. To increase night vision, you need to not to directly look at something and glance sideways that means using rod cells more.
- Keeping your eyes adjusted to the dark also helps in improving night vision. If you are entering a dark area from a much-lighted one, close your eyes before you enter the dark area. You can squint or keep one hand on your eye also.
- Practice makes a man perfect and it can improve night vision too. Shut out all the lights, close the shades, and try seeing the room in dark. You would find that with time your night vision has improved.
- Using the rod cells, scan the dark area instead of staring at one object. Keep your eyes flicking forth and back and you would be able to see better in dark.
- You also need to avoid looking directly at the bright light sources while you are navigating in the dark in order to see better in dark.
- Allow ample time for your eyes to be able to adjust to the dark. It takes around 25 to 30 minutes for eyes to entirely adjust to the dark.
- Smoking weakens the ability to see in the dark. Avoid first hand and even passive smoking to help you increase your night vision.
- As rod cells are active during dark, try searching for shapes and form and not colors in the dark.
- Take vitamin A supplements and other vitamins and minerals for improving night vision. You can also take carrot and carrot juice to help you increase the night vision. Nutrients like Lutein, Ginkgo Biloba, Bilberry, Zeaxanthin, etc helps in improving night vision.
- The eye patch of pirates also may help increasing the night vision. Keep one hand on one eye and try looking from the other eye when moving from light to dark or dark to light.
- Squeezing eyes for almost ten seconds when in dark, also may help you see better.
- Eating a piece of sugar helped the Soviet Special Forces to see better in dark. Actually, night vision depends largely on the sugar level in the blood.
- You need to remember that these are just some methods of improving night vision and if you still find impaired vision at night, you need to consult a physician for thorough examination.