Sleep is one of the best ways through which your body feels relaxed and rejuvenates itself. In fact, a good night’s sleep can help you feel refreshed and revitalized after the most hectic and busy day in office. However, these days we see almost every second person, especially the ones who are working, suffering from the problem of either insomnia or disturbed sleep. The ultimate result is low levels of energy, lack of vivacity and a constant feeling of fatigue. Thus, it is very necessary to ensure that you get a good night’s sleep on a daily basis. In case you are a bit uncertain as to how to achieve that, read the information given below and know some tips to get better sleep at night.
Tips for a Good Night’s Sleep
- Do not take a nap during the day, since it leads to a change in your sleep pattern. However, if you feel that you are extremely tired and sleepy; make sure to sleep for no more than 30 minutes in the daytime.
- Avoid having drinks that contain caffeine or alcohol, for a few hours before going to bed. While, caffeine makes you feel refresh instead of sleepy, alcohol might interfere with your sleep pattern.
- Do not smoke, or take nicotine in any form, in the later hours of the day. This is because nicotine is a stimulant and can make it difficult for you to fall asleep.
- Ensure that when you sleep, your room is as dark as possible. The presence of light, even in a small amount, interferes with your sleep. At the same time, make sure to expose yourself to sunlight as soon as you get up. This will help your body follow a regular sleep pattern.
- Indulge in light exercise for 20-30 minutes, on a daily basis. However, make sure that you exercise either in the early morning or the early evening. Exercising at night is not good for a sound sleep.
- The deficiency of iron, especially if you are a woman, can lead to disturbed sleep or even lack of sleep. So, make sure that your body receives iron in sufficient quantity.
- Make sure that your bed, mattress as well as pillow are comfortable. A small bed, hard mattress and not-so-comfy pillow might be one of the main reasons for a disturbed sleep.
- Ensure that the state of your bedroom is conducive to sleep. Do not keep distracting things like TV, PC, and other such items in your bedroom. Even a ticking clock can interrupt your sleep.
- Make a sleep schedule for yourself and stick to it as much as possible. Having deviations once in a while is okay, but don’t make it a habit to sleep or rise much earlier or later than your usual time.
- Try to indulge in activities that help you feel relaxed. Listen to some soothing music, take a warm bath or sip a cup of herbal tea. All this is sure to induce sleep.