There was a time when the same home décor used to be passed on from generation to generation. However, all this has changed with the passing time. Today, people are experimenting with a number of décors in their own lifetime, out of which one is tropical décor. A modern, contemporary décor, it comprises of elements that reminds one of nature, particularly the natural elements that you can found in the tropical regions of the world. Do you also want to adorn your house with the tropical theme? Yes? Then, go through the following lines and find a lot of tips on tropical decorating theme.
Tropical Décor Ideas For Your Home
If you are planning to adopt tropical décor in your home, keep the theme in mind while coloring the walls. For this type of décor, light, pastel colors are most commonly opted for. You can make use of colors that remind you of the sky (like light blue, beige, tan and coral pink), ocean and beach. In case you want your room to be a representative of the lush tropical forests, go for earthy greens and browns. Using bright colors, such as red, orange, yellow and fuchsia, will surely remind you of the tropical birds.
For furniture arrangement in your tropical-style room, visit the manufacturers and retailers that sell tropical furniture. The items would be made from renewable resources, such as bamboo, rattan, teakwood and abaca. You can also go for eco-friendly furniture, made with materials that are grown and harvested with the least negative impact on the environment. The whole idea behind using this type of furniture is to give a complete tropical feel to your room.
You will have to redo the ceiling as well, to adopt the tropical theme in its totality. You can install ceiling sheets made of woven coconut fronds. Yet another idea would be to use bamboo instead. For the purpose, you will have to cut bamboo, secure lengths together by twisting wire and wrap near top, at the middle and near the bottom of each stalk of bamboo. Use screws to attach the bamboo to the wall. If it's possible for you, you can also try installing a ceiling fan in the tropical style.
There are a number of accessories that you can make use of, while decorating your room in the tropical style. Some of them are:
- A tropical décor seems incomplete without the use of tiki masks. You will easily find the masks, in a wide variety, at specialty shops as well as online. Make sure to hang them against a plain background only.
- If you can dig out vintage or reproduction barkcloth fabric, in colorful or muted tropical prints, use it to sew a few throw pillows for your room. They would surely add to the overall tropical look.
- In context of tropical décor accessories, how can we not mention art! For instance, you can display vintage sheet music in a frame that has been decorated in a faux leather kraft paper treatment.
- You can also make use of accessories like coral, starfish and seashell display, which represent the beach and ocean, as shelf displays. Then, there is the option of making them into items like candle holders, picture frames and mirror frames.
- Baskets, mats and screens made out of sea grass, rattan and banana leaf can add to the tropical look of your room. You can also make use of palm leaf and palm tree designs, along with animal prints such as leopard, tiger, giraffe and zebra.
- One of the best tropical accessories comprises of lamps shades, in rattan, wicker or split bamboo. In case you do not mange to lay your hands on them, cover the shade of an existing lamp with a scarf in a tropical print.