Though it can be found in a number of Asian cuisines, with the characteristic spicy and sour taste, the Chinese Hot and Sour soup enjoys maximum popularity. Typically non-vegetarian in nature, the soup is now easily available in vegetarian versions as well. If you are planning to have a dinner party at your place and are wondering about the soup to serve before the main course, Hot and Sour would be the perfect choice. In the following lines, we have detailed vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian Hot and Sour soup recipes, just for you.
How To Make Hot and Sour Soup
Hot and Sour Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Carrot (cut into fine strips)
- 6 to 8 French Beans (cut into fine strips)
- 1 Capsicum (finely chopped)
- 4 to 5 small Cauliflower Florets (finely chopped)
- 1 small piece Cabbage (finely chopped)
- ½ cup Chicken, boiled and shredded
- 1 piece Bamboo Shoot (cut into strips)
- A few Black Mushrooms (sliced)
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Aji-No-Motto
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Chili Sauce
- 1 to 2 Spring Onions (finely chopped)
- 3 to 4 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tsp Soya Sauce
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1½ tbsp Cornflour (mixed with little water)
- First of all, you need to par boil the carrots, French beans and cauliflower.
- Put the chicken stock in a pan and bring it to boil.
- Add spring onions, salt, pepper, aji-no-motto, mushrooms and bamboo shoot to the stock and give 2 to 3 boils.
- Mix in carrots, beans, capsicum, cauliflower, cabbage, chicken pieces, vinegar, soy sauce and chili sauce and give it another boil.
- Add the cornflour and mix thoroughly.
- As the soup starts thickening, gradually pour the beaten egg, making sure to keep stirring constantly.
- Cook for a minute, remove from flame, pour into bowls and serve hot, along with chili sauce and chilies in vinegar.
Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp Cabbage (finely shredded)
- 2 tbsp Carrot (finely julienne)
- 1 tbsp Cauliflower (finely chopped)
- 1 small Celery Stalk (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Spring Onion Greens (finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Ginger (grated)
- 1/2 tsp red Chili Sauce
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Brown Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Pepper Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 1 tsp Butter or Oil
- 4 cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- The first step would comprise of putting a pan of flame and adding the butter/oil to it.
- After the butter/oil becomes hot, add ginger, followed by all the vegetables, except spring onions.
- Stir fry the vegetables for a few minutes and then add the spring onions. Mix well.
- After the onions get cooked, add the stock/water, chili sauce, soy sauce and vinegar. Mix well.
- Bring the soup to a boil and simmer it for 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now, dissolve the cornflour in ½ cup of water and stir into the soup, making sure to stir continuously.
- Cook the soup for 2 minutes, remove from flame, pour into bowls and serve hot.